Using launchbar 5 to move app to Applications folder

General discussions about LaunchBar
john_launchbar

Using launchbar 5 to move app to Applications folder

Post by john_launchbar » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:09 am

I'm using LaunchBar 5.0 RC3.

I have an application in my Mac OS 10.5 'Downloads' folder that I want to move to my Applications folder with Launchbar.

I highlight the app in the Finde,I envoke Launchbar, hit Command-G, hit 'tab' and type: Applications and hit return.

But I don't get the familiar options to either "Move to ..." or "Copy to...."

How come?

Thanks

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Re: Using launchbar 5 to move app to Applications folder

Post by sjk » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:40 am

If you've already got ~/Downloads open in a Finder window maybe it would be easier/quicker just to drag apps to /Applications in the sidebar?

Forumposter

Post by Forumposter » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:17 pm

I got a better use case.
I opened a dmg file with an application in it.
The window of this dmg was too big to just drag & drop it to my applications folder so I had to resize and move it.

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:48 pm

Even in that case it would be faster for me to open a new Finder window (with Command-N) and drag the app from the original window to the visible Applications icon in the newly-opened window. Or, add /Applications to Finder's toolbar where it's likely to be a visible drag/drop target in nearly every Finder window. Or, add /Applications to Dock where it's can also be a relatively easy drag/drop target.

I'm a keyboard-centric user but using LB to move files/folders in certain contexts (like those in this thread) isn't as quick and easy for me as other more mouse-centric alternatives. I just mention this in the spirit of sharing suggestions, not claiming they're better/worse than what anyone else prefers (though it's hard not to grumble when I see my wife reverting to using menu commands for Copy and Paste instead of their more efficient keyboard shortcuts. :)).

So, I don't have an answer to john_launchbar's question about "Move to ..." or "Copy to...." not appearing but maybe someone else does?

TomEck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TomEck » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:05 am

john_launchbar wrote:I have an application in my Mac OS 10.5 'Downloads' folder that I want to move to my Applications folder with Launchbar.

I highlight the app in the Finde,I envoke Launchbar, hit Command-G, hit 'tab' and type: Applications and hit return.

But I don't get the familiar options to either "Move to ..." or "Copy to...."

Maybe I misunderstood your post but I can't reproduce your problem. This may depend on the way I move (unzipped) applications/files from the "Downloads" folder to the application/target folder:

1) evoke LaunchBar (CMD-Space) and locate "Downloads" folder (in my case I just type "Down...")
2) locate target application/file (typically I type the first latter of the name or use simply the arrow keys) and hit "Tab"
3) locate target folder (in this case just type "app...") and hit return (the list of options appears) or better: hit CMD-Return (= move file) or ALT/Option-Return (= copy file)

BTW: 1) In case you like to "move" the application right out of an DMG you can't move the file you have to copy it. 2) If you highlight the app in the Finder just hold CMD-Space a bit longer and you don't need the CMD-G command (just hit "Tab").

Maybe this helps...

2sox

Post by 2sox » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:33 pm

sjk wrote:<snip helpful suggestion> I'm a keyboard-centric user but using LB to move files/folders in certain contexts (like those in this thread) isn't as quick and easy for me as other more mouse-centric alternatives.

Same here, but I keep trying 'cuz I love LB. Reading this thread has helped me.

I'm using Path Finder by Cocoatech http://www.cocoatech.com/, which, IMHO, makes moving files even easier and more efficient than the Finder.

sjk wrote:I just mention this in the spirit of sharing suggestions, not claiming they're better/worse than what anyone else prefers

Well said. Well done.

sjk wrote:(though it's hard not to grumble when I see my wife reverting to using menu commands for Copy and Paste instead of their more efficient keyboard shortcuts. :)).

HA! Me too! I can't tell you how hard it is to not say anything!

john_launchbar

Post by john_launchbar » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:19 am

I just figured out why I couldn't move items to the 'Applications' folder with Launchbar.

I was choosing the wrong 'Applications' folder in Launchbar.

When I evoke Launchbar, and type APP

I get an Applications folder, colored in orange, that contains all my applications. That is what I was trying to move files into.

I should have choosen the 2nd 'Applications' folder in Launchbar that shows all the folders in my Applications folder.

If that makes sense.
Attachments
Picture1.png
Picture1.png (20.1 KiB) Viewed 5538 times

Forumposter

Post by Forumposter » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:25 am

I've seen those orange/golden folders before.
What do they mean? It says write protected - but why distinguish?

TomEck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TomEck » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:03 am

These should be LaunchBars "Categories" folders. You may find more infromation in LaunchBar help (Selecting items -> Categories).

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:11 pm

Shift-Command-I (Show in Index) is a handy shortcut for locating a selected item in LB's index. Try it with one of those orange folder icons, Forumposter. :)