Quicklook

General discussions about LaunchBar
Silks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Quicklook

Post by Silks » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:31 am

Could it be possible to have a preference for turning off the space bar Quicklook feature?
I use LB while typing, and every time I accidentally hit the space bar, it pops up a preview... It's distracting and useless to me.
Thanks

andyjeffries

Re: Quicklook

Post by andyjeffries » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:41 pm

Seconded - this is highly irritating (wish I'd found it before registering...)

andyjeffries

Post by andyjeffries » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Actually, never mind - new user comment!

I was typing in what I was looking for (if I knew it had two words) with spaces in between - rather than just keep typing without the spaces. Works fine for me (and I guess it will be useful).

Silks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Silks » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:23 am

Still, I use LB while typing and I just press the spacebar inadvertently.
According to the File menu, the shortcut for QuickLook is supposed to be ⌘-Y. Couldn't we leave it at that? Or at least have an option for turning it off altogether?
Thanks

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:22 pm

Please note that the space bar plays an essential role in LaunchBar, not only to open a Quick Look preview, but also to trigger sub-searches, show an app's recent documents, navigate into a folder or to start text input in case of search templates, services, scripts, email addresses, etc.

LaunchBar's abbreviation search algorithm doesn't require any space characters to be entered anyway - even if you could enter them, they would be ignored. The search engine considers word boundaries automatically, so you can just enter your search term without the space character.

And since the space bar has no meaning during abbreviation input, we've decided to use it for the above mentioned actions, which lets you trigger them in an extremely efficient manner (due to its size and position the space bar is the most conveniently accessible key on the keyboard). You can for example type G<space>APPLE to perform a Google search for Apple, type AB<space>JD to sub-search your address book contacts for John Doe, etc.

So even if we add an option to turn off Quick Look via space bar, you still would encounter unexpected results when typing a space character during abbreviation input, whenever the currently selected item has an associated space bar action. For example, if you want to search for a person named Ed Wood, typing ED<space>WOOD likely selects TextEdit after typing ED, and pressing space then shows TextEdit's list of recent documents.