memory use

General discussions about LaunchBar
ericem

Post by ericem » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:39 pm

Thanks a lot for all the help. I went ahead and did more of a drastic cut in what I was indexing and that did make a big difference. It's sitting at 162 MB of memory now. I'm fine with that. I think the idea that LaunchBar will give back memory when the system needs it makes sense, but I never saw it spike over 100 MB let alone more than that prior to version 5. The thing that got my attention to begin with was that LaunchBar was becoming sluggish. I don't want to rip on QS, but it was acting like that for me (I probably had too big of a index for QS too). One of the reasons I went with LaunchBar was that it's so quick and accurate.

I know it must have everything to do with the size of the index because I have it installed on a MacBook Pro and it doesn't even show up on the Radar as far as memory usage and it's the same version running on the same version of OS X. Which BTW is 10.5.6 of OS X and version 5 beta 2 on both machines right now. LaunchBar on the MacBook performs as speedy as it always has. The difference is that it isn't indexing nearly as much.

The weird part is that I didn't change the index at all going from version 4 to 5 on the Mac Pro, but for some reason LaunchBar performs differently and uses more memory. Thanks again.

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:59 pm

@ericem, please open LaunchBar preferences > Clipboard and clear the clipboard history. Does this reduce the memory usage?

And how many items does your LaunchBar index contain in total? To determine the total number, select all rules in the sidebar of the index window and you'll get the total number of items displayed at the bottom of the Index pane.

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dennis » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:12 am

FWIW, I have about 18,000 items in my index and LaunchBar uses only 30 MB of real memory at launch. This seems to climb a bit with regular usage, usually stabilizing around 40 MB. I have seen it climb to as high as 65 MB after sub-searching on an unindexed folder containing 7,000 PDFs and web archives.

-Dennis

beejay
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by beejay » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:17 am

I turned off the "Documents" index rule - I don't really need this manually indexed as I don't really use LB as a search tool anyway. If anything I'll cursor keys navigate this. (I think it was about 230,000 items in total when this was enabled).

Doing this dropped my mem usage from 145 or so megs to 23 megs...

Note, when you disable an indexing rule, the index is not cleared, even if you save it. It seems you have to exit and relaunch LB to purge the index and reclaim that memory space.

ericem

Index Size

Post by ericem » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:57 am

I did that, but it didn't seem to reduce it by much. I should note however, that I didn't have too many items in there. I have it set to hold 20 items which is all clear now. It dropped from 288 to 284 MB. I wrote that LB was using 162 MB earlier, but I guess it must have climbed.

Yes, I forgot to mention in my previous post my index is at 183,777 items. This is down from over 255,000 items I had indexed previously. I know that's too big isn't it. The main culprit is my Photo Library. I use Aperture, and the folder that LaunchBar scans shows 91,050 items. I see the problem, I was scanning package contents. Un-checking that box took it down to 12,005 items. Not sure why I did that. That brought the total down to 105,111 items. Do you think Objective Development would do an Aperture plug-in for the index similar to what it does for iPhoto (understanding that Aperture and iPhoto do different things under the hood)?

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dennis » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:22 am

Wow, I thought my index was big at 18k items!

I don't know if it still holds true, but back in January 2007, Norbert recommended an index size of around 30,000 items or less for LaunchBar 4. Here's the thread:

http://forums.obdev.at/viewtopic.php?t=237

Clearly, LaunchBar 5 is working with a lot more items, but over 200,000?! I think that's a prime suspect in your huge memory footprint. I tend to use Spotlight for all the things I don't need quick access to.

-Dennis

ericem

Post by ericem » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:03 am

Yes, it is. I just said to heck with it and got rid of two external drives I was indexing out of LB's index and I'm going to see whether I miss them or not. I suspect I won't. The index now is sitting at 50096 items and the memory usage is 70 to 100 MB. More importantly, it's quick and snappy again. Thanks for the help.