memory use

General discussions about LaunchBar
oneblessedguy

101.29 MB Here

Post by oneblessedguy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:47 pm

I am running 10.5.4 and I have 101 mb in rm in Launchbar. So I guess I am experiencing a little of this.

What would cause launchbar to have more memory like this?

Thanks!

oneblessedguy

Not Releasing

Post by oneblessedguy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:11 pm

I don't know how accurate this is but I started most of my main programs (all on my dock except for ical and address book) plus rapidweaver. I have around 11 programs running plus finder plus activity monitor.

But, Launchbar has not released anything. It is still sitting at 113 MB of RM. and 906.74 MB of VSize.

I would really like to find out why mine is so high and you guys are getting around 10- 25 MB.

HELP!

macsterdam
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by macsterdam » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:40 pm

I had similar problems some time ago. What I did then was delete Launchbar completely, including all preferences and such, and then re-installed it.
I then added various things to my configuration setup and from then on, even though I have a lot of files/folders in my configuration setup, Launchbar rarely uses more then 40 - 60 mb.
As to why this worked, I honestly don't know - but it did.

btw - I used EasyFind to search for all the launchbar related files.

oneblessedguy

Configure - Go Figure

Post by oneblessedguy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:53 pm

I think I found it.

I was indexing something around 116,000 files.

I cut that down to around 25,000 files and deleted my caches folder for LB. When I restarted it, it is around 24.16 MB.

Whew!!

Actually got perkier too!

bumpi

tailored indexing

Post by bumpi » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:55 am

I was reading this thread because LB seemed to be slow to respond. Looking over the Configuration, I saw that two new directories were there (I put them there, I'm sure, just didn't think about the consequences at the time). At some point a few months ago I had installed gnucash, which meant installing lots of other files for the X-Window application. I wound up with two new directories as I tried two different X package installers /opt is about 1GB with 80k items and /sw is about 200MB with 1800 items. When I unchecked those directories and restarted LB is behaving much better.

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:47 am

I think when we start seeing this behaviour more often – people putting huge folders in their index without realising it at first – it might be appropriate to display a warning dialogue when rules with more than, say, 30k items are added.

What do you think? Would a warning dialogue be more annoying than helpful, or would it be able to help avoiding these performance issues?

ednsb

memory usage and locking

Post by ednsb » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:42 pm

I am on an Intel dual core 2.4 iMac with 2 gig of memory running 10.5.4.

I have been using launchbar for a couple of years and have the latest version. I have always seen a memory leak in a number of apps including mail, safari and launchbar which i have to clear by closing them then restarting. An annoyance but that is all until lately when I upgraded to 10.5.4. Now I get stuck looking at the spinning beach ball from hell. If I stop using Launchbar it gets a whole lot better so I am wondering if I should have Launchbar at the beginning or end of the boot process? I believe you can still affect that by moving its position in the login items table?

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:13 am

ludwigschubert wrote:it might be appropriate to display a warning dialogue when rules with more than, say, 30k items are added.

What do you think? Would a warning dialogue be more annoying than helpful, or would it be able to help avoiding these performance issues?

In general those types of confirmation dialogs are more helpful than annoying to me unless they occur too frequently and/or can't be disabled with a "don't show this message again" checkbox (e.g. like in most iTunes dialogs). I accept them in the spirit of contextual education about something I may not be aware of. And if I am they can still be a helpful reminder.

Some people let themselves be too easily annoyed by things done with positive intentions and without understanding the reasons. With dialogs, I'm glad if they can help someone even when they might be a slight temporary inconvenience to me.

egrieco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Memory usage followup

Post by egrieco » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:42 pm

Within the last month I have upgraded the hard drive in my PowerBook and completely reinstalled the OS. The memory issues that I was seeing with LaunchBar 4 under Mac OS X 10.5.2 seem to have disappeared. Further, memory management in general seems to be much improved in Mac OS X 10.5.5.

The stats now are:
PowerBook G4, 1.3GHz processor, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD, Mac OS X 10.5.5

P.S. - LaunchBar 5 beta 1 seems to use a lot more memory, 110 MB of "Real Memory" at the moment as reported by Activity Monitor. This may simply be due to the new features that have been added.

jpcirrus

Post by jpcirrus » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:47 pm

I reported this to support some time back and they responded that the memory figures shown in Activity Monitor are the maximum that the application has used since starting and if the figures seem high are due to a re-index having taken place. It then reverts back to a lower actual amount but this is not reflected in Activity Monitor. Subsequent monitoring confirmed this.

ericem

Using Lots Of Memory

Post by ericem » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:48 am

It's probably just me and my index, but LaunchBar 5 beta 1 is currently using over 400MB or real memory on my Mac Pro. At one time it was using over 700 MB before restarting it. I just trimmed down a bunch of my indexes, but I can't do much more since I rely on it so much.

Now, LB 4 didn't come close to using 100MB of real memory and I haven't really added anything to the index that I know of. I just skimmed through, this thread and a few others so if there are solutions that I missed I'm sorry. Before anyone thinks I'm grumbling, I'm not. I absolutely love LB and have been a user since version 3. I love version 5. You guys pretty much addressed all my wants (and then some) with LaunchBar 5. However, I do have to get a handle on this memory thing. Even with 12GB on my Mac, I can't afford to donate nearly a gig to LB. Right now, my little iPulse dial says LB has 491.7 GB RM and 1001.7 GB of VM. What do I do?

Thanks,
Eric

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dennis » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:22 am

When you see LaunchBar using 400+ MB, how much free memory do you have remaining (green area on the System Memory pie graph in Activity Monitor)? Do you see other apps paging out?

If there's free memory remaining, I wouldn't worry about this issue. Mac OS X's memory management is pretty sophisticated, and just because an app is using a lot of memory doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong, especially if you still have free memory remaining.

If an app temporarily needs a lot of memory, like LaunchBar indexing or scanning a folder containing thousands of files, I think it just hangs onto that memory when finished if nobody else needs it. There's no point in releasing the memory if the rest of the system already has all the memory it needs (i.e. there's a surplus of free memory).

So it could very well *look* like LaunchBar is using 400 MB of RAM, where in reality it's only using a fraction of that and just hasn't released some extra memory because the memory management system hasn't asked for it back.

In Activity Monitor, the blue area on the System Memory pie graph represents this "used but inactive" memory. It's memory that has been allocated to applications but is no longer needed by them. But the system allows the apps to hang onto it until other processes asks for more.

Because you have so much RAM installed in your Mac Pro, I wonder if the system just allows apps to hang onto memory longer because it's not needed elsewhere.

-Dennis

Stormchild

Post by Stormchild » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:38 am

I'm sitting at around 45 MB (OS X 10.5.6, 2 GB RAM, PowerBook 1.67 GHz [Oct 2005]), which about the same as what I usually saw with LaunchBar 4.

Everyone's index will be a different size depending on how much stuff you have indexed. My iTunes library has around 13,500 songs, so if I enable iTunes indexing, its RSIZE will hover around 100 MB instead of ~45.

I need LaunchBar to remain responsive, so I've turned off as much as I can to keep the index small. If LaunchBar is using a lot of memory on a regular basis, you might want to have a look at your index and see if you can disable anything. There could be some other issue here as well, but it's worth a try.

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:52 pm

Stormchild wrote:If LaunchBar is using a lot of memory on a regular basis, you might want to have a look at your index and see if you can disable anything.

Seems he already did that:

I just trimmed down a bunch of my indexes, but I can't do much more since I rely on it so much.

beejay
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by beejay » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:14 pm

Mine was using about 150megs of real memory. I disabled the iTunes and iPhoto indexes, saved and relaunched LB, and now it's using about 135megs.

I didn't think my indexes were particularly large either...