replicating Quicksilver's 'send directly' feature in LB

General discussions about LaunchBar
pendolino

replicating Quicksilver's 'send directly' feature in LB

Post by pendolino » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:13 pm

i've been using Launchbar for two days now as a potential alternative to Quicksilver and have found one thing I miss very much and that is the Quicksilver feature called 'send directly' whereby you would type text (or grab a file) directly into QS then tab and type 'send directly' and tab again followed by selecting the recipients address book email entry and boom the email would go with with only that text without the mediation of any of the full email clients (Mail, Entourage, etc). As far as I understand this was handled by QS (through a plugin?) using the installed SMTP settings of Mail.app. I use this many times a day to send SMS type emails via QS and it removes the need to open a new email window (even if LB does help enter the text with Instant Send) and then click send.

Is there any way to replicate this function in LaunchBar?

aafredex

Re: replicating Quicksilver's 'send directly' feature in LB

Post by aafredex » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:55 pm

I'll second that, with uranium.

I thought this feature was practically magic in QS. Really, it's just sort of unix-ing email back into OS X, but god it's cool. It makes using email like a one-way IM. You don't have to leave your work/current app to send an email, clip, whatever -- how cool is that. (I think it's even possible mail app didn't have to even be launched and running in the background. Though I could be wrong.)

Obviously, yeah -- I'd also love to see this feature implemented in LB.

aafredex

Post by aafredex » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:58 pm

By the way, here's Merlin Mann in 43 Folders on the beauty of sending email directly from QS:

http://www.43folders.com/2005/08/10/sen ... uicksilver

pendolino

Post by pendolino » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:41 pm

you're right in that mail.app does not have to be running yet it will still give you the 'mail sent' sound effect that is exactly like mail.app. its pretty impressive and i gather from your response that you have not found a way to do this yet.

aafredex wrote:I'll second that, with uranium.

I thought this feature was practically magic in QS. Really, it's just sort of unix-ing email back into OS X, but god it's cool. It makes using email like a one-way IM. You don't have to leave your work/current app to send an email, clip, whatever -- how cool is that. (I think it's even possible mail app didn't have to even be launched and running in the background. Though I could be wrong.B.