suggestion: add triggers to Launchbar

General discussions about LaunchBar
TomEck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: suggestion: add triggers to Launchbar

Post by TomEck » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:09 pm

Thanks for clarification, pendolino! It really looks like triggers are very useful.

However, I believe much of your examples you can do in a very similar way with LB:

- ctrl-F opens a new finder window

Invoke LB (CMD-Space by default) and hold "F" and Instant Open will open a new Finder window if you have assigned (CMD-ALT-A) the abbreviation "F" to Finder.app

- ctrl-W brings up a quicksilver dialog that searches wikipedia

Invoke LB and hold "W" and Instant Open will open the search dialogue for the Wikipedia serach if you have assigned the abbreviation "W" to this search action.

The same applies for a google search or any other action set up in the LB index and, of course, you can choose different abbreviations.

Of course, there are differences but LB's approach has some advantages too. For example, I don't want to use F-keys as "triggers" because I like to reserve them for other applications like Spell Catcher.

However, I don't mind to get more options so why not "triggers"...

pendolino

Post by pendolino » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:25 pm

tomeck -

one function alone would make me use Quicksilver that i have not seen replicated in any other other launcher or macro application and that is the ability to access my Delicious bookmarks from Quicksilver directly.

i've basically set up a trigger (ctrl-D in my case) to launch the Delicious bookmarks 'catalog' that periodically updates from my Delicious.com account and this has become my primary way by far to get to any website in addition to feeding search strings to certain sites like google search, amazon search, etc.

take a look at this short screen demo that i posted on youtube showing how i use this on an everyday basis. note that the 'star' icon indicates a delicious tag (so you can navigate to bookmarks grouped by tag) and the globe is a URL. you dont need to use the tags at all if you want but its nice to have them there and makes them useful for a change.

see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvTmFJJyoVE

TomEck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TomEck » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:17 pm

pendolino -

I am not familiar with Delicious and haven't tried to access its bookmarks via LB. However, I believe this isn't a question of triggers but a problem to index the Delicious bookmarks because they are not stored as html. There is another thread discussing this problem; maybe one of the discussed workarounds could help you but as far as I understood this has to be addressed by OD.

cwbtwit

Post by cwbtwit » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:16 pm

I would really like to see the trigger function in the development too, it is perhaps the only reason I cannot convinced myself to switch to LB from QS.

As I usually working on several program for paper writing, in my days with QS, I can assign F1-F10 for different applications, that way I switch between the applications instantly without any mouse involvement, that's just great.

I know there are some work-around for LB, by using another free software for the trigger, but for such a promising LB, isn't that it should be one of the function? Why limit to a Launch-BAR, if there is no need for a bar to be involved?

I really hope the developers could give us some hope on implementing the trigger / shortcuts in the near future. It is not that i do not want to pay for the program, I want to pay for the program that answer the needs of the user and keep it developing.

Thanks for the great work, I will try LB out one month anyway to see, (keeping the QS opened simply for trigger ...sigh)

pendolino

Post by pendolino » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:50 pm

cwbtwit wrote:As I usually working on several program for paper writing, in my days with QS, I can assign F1-F10 for different applications, that way I switch between the applications instantly without any mouse involvement, that's just great.

i do exactly the same thing with QS. until LB has the same functionality or QS is completely past saving i am not switching.

on that note, QS is working better than ever for me these days. (im on B57 now)

mledunyc

Post by mledunyc » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:15 am

Snow Leopard has support for some of the things that Triggers can provide in the Keyboard Prefs. When I switched to Launchbar, I replaced my Quicksilver Triggers with Keyboard Maestro http://www.keyboardmaestro.com/main/?coupon=REF4KCF. The combo works well together.
Last edited by mledunyc on Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

FredSmith
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FredSmith » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:59 am

mledunyc wrote:Snow Leopard has support for some of the things that Triggers can provide in the Keyboard Prefs. When I switched to Launchbar, I replaced my Quicksilver Triggers with Keyboard Maestro http://bit.ly/clv5W7. The combo works well together.

Perhaps a link that went to an information page, rather than straight to the credit card payment page?

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:36 pm

Or DIY, e.g. I'm Feeling Lucky. :D

mledunyc

Post by mledunyc » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:30 am

Sorry for that, I changed the link.