Quicksilver switcher - A couple things I miss...

General discussions about LaunchBar
nicerobot

Re: Quicksilver switcher - A couple things I miss...

Post by nicerobot » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:40 pm

norbert wrote:
nicerobot wrote:Also, it'd be nice if it was a floating panel (see UIElementInspector example application) instead of whatever LB is doing. LB doesn't act like QS and UIElementInspector's floating panel. QS and UIElementInspector don't take input focus (they do take window focus). That is, when the QS window has focus, if the cursor was in a text field before activating QS, you'll still see the cursor in the focused application (the one with the menu) as if you could still type (though you can't because the window doesn't have focus).

Just turn on the "Nonactivating Mode" in LaunchBar Preferences > General.

Excellent! Thanks.

BTW, That's not documented in the help and no tooltip appears on hover of the checkbox and item. It makes sense now, but i wasn't sure what it was pertaining to and didn't appear to have any effect when i toggled it :)

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:10 am

nicerobot wrote:That's not documented in the help and no tooltip appears on hover of the checkbox and item.

I'd appreciate if every LB preferences was clearly documented and if clicking the circled '?' in each panel would jump to the relevant section of the help instead of sometimes going to the main page. I'm still struggling to understand what effect enabling "Nonactiving Mode" has.

ptujec
Wizard
Wizard

Post by ptujec » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:26 am

sjk wrote:I'm still struggling to understand what effect enabling "Nonactiving Mode" has.

Whats the big deal? Doesn't the name say it anyways? In default mode LaunchBar gets activated. In nonactivating mode thats not the case meaning the application you are currently using (before invoking LunchBar) stays active. I find it pretty handy … less intrusive.

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:44 am

No big deal. Thanks for the explanation; now I understand the difference it makes and might prefer it enabled.

FredSmith
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FredSmith » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:41 am

Seems that we have a few small updates for LB (which is nice), so I thought I'd take the opportunity to ask again for a larger display.

SFEley

Post by SFEley » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:10 pm

ptujec wrote:
sjk wrote:I'm still struggling to understand what effect enabling "Nonactiving Mode" has.

Whats the big deal? Doesn't the name say it anyways?

No, it doesn't. I'm a longtime Mac power user and a software developer, and "Nonactivating" meant nothing to me. There isn't a single clear, unambiguous definition of "activate" in software. Does it mean the window gets the focus? Does it mean the execution of tasks? Activating a license registration? Starting LaunchBar in the first place? You might have found it obvious that the first one was meant, but my first guess was that it had something to do with tasks. I wasn't sure though.

I like to carefully review and set my preferences on a new application, and this checkbox threw me completely. I just didn't know what it meant. I clicked the question mark in the bottom like a good Mac user, but a full text search on "nonactivating" in the help topics turned up nothing. So I went to ObDev's Web site. No search box.

So I went to the forums. And this thread was the first search hit on "nonactivating." Hearing that this was supposed to be obvious annoyed me enough to register and make my opinion known.

LaunchBar devs: this is a real usability issue. The wording is unclear, and the Preferences panel is one of the first places you could drive away a new user. I'd suggest not referring to "Modes" at all, but change the checkbox text to describe the action affected. "Keep the focus on the running application" would be clearer.

There are some other usability problems in LaunchBar, at least to me, but this was the first one that jumped out. I'll try to document others as I have the time and motivation. Thanks for your attention.

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:52 pm

SFEley wrote:"Keep the focus on the running application" would be clearer.

But, at least for me, that's not an accurate description of it's behavior.

SFEley

Post by SFEley » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:43 pm

sjk wrote:
SFEley wrote:"Keep the focus on the running application" would be clearer.

But, at least for me, that's not an accurate description of it's behavior.

Fair point. What wording would you suggest? It just needs to be clearer to the end user than "Nonactivating Mode."

ptujec
Wizard
Wizard

Post by ptujec » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:00 pm

I don't get why you would want to change this. Try it and you will see the difference … or read the documentation.

vanity

Post by vanity » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:06 am

I miss QS every time I make a typo. LB is just so much dumber. If I'm looking for a file named "Verteilung" but type "very" instead of "vert" I just get an empty list, while "verr" is a huge list with my target somewhere at the bottom. Be a little flexible!

LB also doesn't adjust to changing habits. I'm not sure if it learns in the first place, but once I assigned an abbreviation it'll always jump there first even if I select something else nine out of ten times.

ptujec
Wizard
Wizard

Post by ptujec » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:21 pm

vanity wrote:I miss QS every time I make a typo. LB is just so much dumber. If I'm looking for a file named "Verteilung" but type "very" instead of "vert" I just get an empty list, while "verr" is a huge list with my target somewhere at the bottom. …

In wiefern ist das denn bei QS anders? Ich kann das nicht ganz nachvollziehen.
Was du als Auswahl bekommst ist von dem abhängig was du indizieren lässt (alt-cmd-i). Und wenn in dem Objektnamen oder deiner zugewiesen Abkürzung für ein Objekt halt ein bestimmter Buchstabe nicht vorkommt (oder doppelt vorkommt) dann ist es doch logisch, dass das weiter unten auftaucht.

vanity wrote:LB also doesn't adjust to changing habits. I'm not sure if it learns in the first place, but once I assigned an abbreviation it'll always jump there first even if I select something else nine out of ten times.

Stimmt nicht. 3x mal musste ich für "AD" das Adressbuch auswählen damit LB das anstatt dem Script nimmt, dem ich diese Abkürzung ursprünglich zugewiesen habe.
Außerdem … wieso vergibst du nicht einfach die Abkürzung an das Objekt das du eigentlich haben willst (alt-cmd-a)?

vanity

Post by vanity » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:43 am

ptujec wrote:Und wenn in dem Objektnamen oder deiner zugewiesen Abkürzung für ein Objekt halt ein bestimmter Buchstabe nicht vorkommt (oder doppelt vorkommt) dann ist es doch logisch, dass das weiter unten auftaucht.

As I wrote, the problem is that with a typo the desired item isn't on the list at all. QS search was fuzzy.

Außerdem … wieso vergibst du nicht einfach die Abkürzung an das Objekt das du eigentlich haben willst (alt-cmd-a)?

Then I'd have to think about how often I use each abbreviation and what I mean by them. QS did that for me.