Quicksilver switcher - A couple things I miss...

General discussions about LaunchBar
FredSmith
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Quicksilver switcher - A couple things I miss...

Post by FredSmith » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:44 am

sjk wrote:
FredSmith wrote:And could we have some kind of spam button put on the forums?

I use the "Report this post" icon - the '!' in the inverted triangle.

Thanks!

ianthewright

Post by ianthewright » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:55 pm

A new Launcher called Alfred in Beta has a great size and look interface: http://www.alfredapp.com

It's in beta and has incredibly limited functionality, something of that size for Launchbar would be awesome. At this point though with the lack of response and the frustration of the interface, I am about to give up on Launchbar completely and take my chances with Quicksilver.

FredSmith
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FredSmith » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:28 pm

ianthewright wrote:A new Launcher called Alfred in Beta has a great size and look interface: http://www.alfredapp.com

It's in beta and has incredibly limited functionality, something of that size for Launchbar would be awesome. At this point though with the lack of response and the frustration of the interface, I am about to give up on Launchbar completely and take my chances with Quicksilver.

Thanks for the heads up

FredSmith
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FredSmith » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:58 am

ianthewright wrote:A new Launcher called Alfred in Beta has a great size and look interface: http://www.alfredapp.com

Well QS is working much better now the code has been cleaned up for Snow Leopard, but I still find it takes too many keystrokes for its simpler tasks. The Google Search Bar is coming along, and it appears there is a new hire at ManyTricks, which means they might start working on Butler again (though I wouldn't hold my breath).

FredSmith
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FredSmith » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:09 pm

Blimey. It's all gone a bit mad for Mac keystroke apps.

Launchy has been ported to the Mac

A little rough around the edges.

zxspectrum

Post by zxspectrum » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:59 pm

★★★★★
Alfred-app got a close to perfect interface...also, the new v0.5 got tons of new features...!

http://blog.alfredapp.com/2010/03/21/alfred-0-5-change-log/ :D

ptujec
Wizard
Wizard

Post by ptujec » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:11 pm

Who cares?

zxspectrum

Post by zxspectrum » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:14 pm

ptujec wrote:Who cares?

People with 24" displays and up...!

:idea:

ptujec
Wizard
Wizard

Post by ptujec » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:09 pm

zxspectrum wrote:

Ok. I was just wondering why people use this thread to advertise for Launchy or Alfred. Considering the title it felt a bit off topic.
Now I realized the discussion is mainly about the UI. Maybe someone should change the name of this thread.

I'm working on a 13' MBP and for me the interface feels just right. I don't look at it most of the time anyways. (q.v. Norberts comment)
But I get the point that its not the same on a bigger screen.

zxspectrum

Post by zxspectrum » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:50 pm

ptujec wrote:
zxspectrum wrote:

Ok. I was just wondering why people use this thread to advertise for Launchy or Alfred. Considering the title it felt a bit off topic.
Now I realized the discussion is mainly about the UI. Maybe someone should change the name of this thread.

I'm working on a 13' MBP and for me the interface feels just right. I don't look at it most of the time anyways. (q.v. Norberts comment)
But I get the point that its not the same on a bigger screen.

It's all about the UI! LaunchBar is x100 better than Alfred...but the small UI is so frustrating :oops:

I wish that they'll just let people theme it.

ptujec
Wizard
Wizard

Post by ptujec » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:34 pm

zxspectrum wrote:I wish that they'll just let people theme it.

Maybe they should hire Julius Eckert. ;) He created a real nice HUD theme for Quicksilver. As far as I know he switched to LB too.
But I don't think anything like that will happen, since Norbert explained that the current UI is part of the concept.

ianthewright

Post by ianthewright » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:41 pm

Concept or not, the UI is all a bit Windows. I just uninstalled, I find it too frustrating.

nicerobot

Post by nicerobot » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:16 am

I'm forcing myself to switch to LB because, from what i've heard, QS isn't under active development and i want a product that will evolve that to not wonder if it will rev with new OSX releases.

First, I don't really mind the position of the window. I always positioned QS at the top of the screen too.

That said, the three things i miss about QS are
  • The triggers
  • The default abbreviation. When there's a default abbreviation, the list doesn't appear for a few seconds or so. This means a single Esc will close QS. The only time a single Esc will close LB is when you haven't started typing yet.
  • The menu icon for the "No Dock" verison (background application). Wouldn't having a menu icon be the solution to not getting shutdown notifications? Also, it'd be nice if it was a floating panel (see UIElementInspector example application) instead of whatever LB is doing. LB doesn't act like QS and UIElementInspector's floating panel. QS and UIElementInspector don't take input focus (they do take window focus). That is, when the QS window has focus, if the cursor was in a text field before activating QS, you'll still see the cursor in the focused application (the one with the menu) as if you could still type (though you can't because the window doesn't have focus).

LB is a fine application but QS is still the king. Hopefully my licensing LB will be a tiny help toward it become the superior product.

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:46 am

nicerobot wrote:Also, it'd be nice if it was a floating panel (see UIElementInspector example application) instead of whatever LB is doing. LB doesn't act like QS and UIElementInspector's floating panel. QS and UIElementInspector don't take input focus (they do take window focus). That is, when the QS window has focus, if the cursor was in a text field before activating QS, you'll still see the cursor in the focused application (the one with the menu) as if you could still type (though you can't because the window doesn't have focus).

Just turn on the "Nonactivating Mode" in LaunchBar Preferences > General.

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:49 am

nicerobot wrote:The default abbreviation. When there's a default abbreviation, the list doesn't appear for a few seconds or so. This means a single Esc will close QS. The only time a single Esc will close LB is when you haven't started typing yet.

Just change LaunchBar Preferences > Appearance > Search Result Menu > Show when searching from "Immediately" to "Delayed".