Quicksilver switcher - A couple things I miss...

General discussions about LaunchBar
FredSmith
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Quicksilver switcher - A couple things I miss...

Post by FredSmith » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:44 pm

norbert wrote:LaunchBar's minimalistic UI is intentional. We tried to make it as unobtrusive as possible, so that it doesn't distract you from your current work, which is especially important if you invoke LaunchBar fairly often.

That's a fair point.

For the moment that LB is up though, you're not going to be doing anything else until you select a function, so it wouldn't be getting in the way even if it took up half the screen. Why do you think Apple's application switcher is so large? Because while it is up, you won't be doing anything else, so the most important thing is that you can see it clearly and make your selection quickly without having to squint through a tiny list.

norbert wrote:Note that LaunchBar is actually not meant to be placed in the middle of the screen (it feels lost there indeed).

Then wouldn't the 'minimalist' thing be to not offer the option at all? Just stick it to the menu.

norbert wrote:I'd recommend to keep it at the top edge of the screen, so that it pops out of the menu bar, same as the Spotlight menu.

If Spotlight was a multi-purpose launcher then it would be somewhere else on the screen. A better comparison would be the dock.

And isn't it possible that the reason folk move LB from the top of the screen is so they can see it?

ianthewright

Post by ianthewright » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:40 am

Thanks for coming back on this Norbert. I have to agree with FredSmith though... and also add that the most natural place for something that fires up quickly, concentrate for minimal time on before making it disappear, is directly in the natural line of site - which is the middle of the screen.

Making it bold and stand above means it can be concentrated on quickly and without any strain.

Having LB in it's "as it comes" state i found a little annoying, the natural place for something called up is where the eyes naturally fall... in the middle of the screen.

When it pops out, unobtrusive becomes irrelevant if you have to concentrate on it for any amount of time, be it a split second. To be able to deal with what you are viewing comfortably -even for a split second - it needs to be there very clearly, and then gone when you want it. One of the things I really appreciate about LB is it's speed.

The app switcher is a great example. You don't even see it as you switch to the last application you used.

Keep Alt held down and tap Tab however and the app switcher pops out, bold and bezelled, while you take a small moment to see where you are going... and right in the middle of the screen where the eyes want to be.

Weaselboy

Post by Weaselboy » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:34 pm

As a previous QS user and LB user sine V3, I would like to add I too prefer the QS bezel design in the middle of the screen. It is easier to see what is going on when the window pops up large in middle of the screen. Perhaps this could be an option in LB? :D

FredSmith
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FredSmith » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:49 pm

I wonder how many people use LB from its default position.

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:21 pm

FredSmith wrote:I wonder how many people use LB from its default position.

I do, and suspect most do; a fair number of those simply because they don't know it's relocatable. Even if most on the forum community do know they likely only represent a fraction of total LB users.

ianthewright

Post by ianthewright » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:18 pm

I actually suspect a large percentage change its position. People using or looking to use LB will be of the more advanced persuasion and hence more interested and used to customising to suit their workflows, habits and general comfort. If people are used to spotlight, moving it to the far right of it's standard placement would be natural. If switching from QS or using a launcher for the first time, the middle is more natural apart from the fact the current UI doesn't really suit that.

My issue is LB gets lost wherever it goes. Even spotlight tucked up in the corner is made obvious for the eye by being blue as it pops out.

I can't actually fault anything else in LB. I would like the same keys to open LB to make it go away again, but I see and agree with Norberts point in another thread that clearing LB ready to start operations again is more useful... that's something to get used to and embrace if I do ultimately decide to switch.

Frankly, the UI is the only thing that's bothering me. After a week I just went back to QS for comparative review and the bezel is actually more of a welcome relief than anything when operating it for any function other than simple launching.

FredSmith
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FredSmith » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:18 pm

Agreed. I think LB is quicker to user for web searches, but QS is so much easier on the eye.

FredSmith
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FredSmith » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:31 am

Perhaps we need a poll or something. Though of course this really is down to Norbert.

giacomo

Post by giacomo » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:50 pm

I'm a Quicksilver user who would like to switch to LB, so much so that periodically I check in here to see what's up.
This discussion prompts me to say that the only reason I haven't switched is the UI. I can barely read the slim, dim, up-there LB box. I love the size of the QS interface and customisability—I use a colorful bezel.

Minimalism is great, but if it makes using the app a bother, well....

I'll check in again later, but wanted to add my vote (just in case Norbert is listening).

FredSmith
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FredSmith » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:38 pm

giacomo wrote:I'm a Quicksilver user who would like to switch to LB, so much so that periodically I check in here to see what's up.
This discussion prompts me to say that the only reason I haven't switched is the UI. I can barely read the slim, dim, up-there LB box. I love the size of the QS interface and customisability—I use a colorful bezel.

I'll check in again later, but wanted to add my vote (just in case Norbert is listening).

I completely agree with what you're saying, but it is only fair to point out that you can actually move launchbar to the middle of the screen. It's a little easier on the neck, but not that much easier on the eyes ... :)

oskarhagberg

Post by oskarhagberg » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:40 am

I'm a Quicksilver user who would like to switch to LB, so much so that periodically I check in here to see what's up.

I created an account here just to say that I share this view 100%.

FredSmith
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FredSmith » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:12 am

I'm not sure that I would find a huge range of skins all that useful to be honest. Like many have said, the purpose is to get in, do stuff, get out (though while you are 'in' it would be nice to see clearly what you're doing), so I probably wouldn't be hanging around to long to admire my freshly downloaded 'Hello Kitty' skin.

But a nice LARGE HUD type display would be great.

pendolino

Post by pendolino » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:14 am

quicksilver is now working pretty nicely on snow leopard with the latest build b57. i thought i would let those here that may not have heard. i could not stick with LB for various reasons but mostly the lack of a trigger functionality.

FredSmith
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FredSmith » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:31 pm

pendolino wrote:quicksilver is now working pretty nicely on snow leopard with the latest build b57. i thought i would let those here that may not have heard. i could not stick with LB for various reasons but mostly the lack of a trigger functionality.

Yes, seems the fella who took over did an excellent job of cleaning it up. Apparently, the original code base wasn't pretty (and I'm quoting from the original developer).

varmemester

Post by varmemester » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:38 pm

I would request a bigger, central and in line of sight Launchbar. A agree with FredSmiths argument:
"For the moment that LB is up though, you're not going to be doing anything else until you select a function, so it wouldn't be getting in the way even if it took up half the screen. Why do you think Apple's application switcher is so large? Because while it is up, you won't be doing anything else, so the most important thing is that you can see it clearly and make your selection quickly without having to squint through a tiny list"

I do like LB alot. Many things work better than QS. For instance when adding a new search template is much easier. One thing though I find more intuitive in QS is moving or copying files. In QS i would, for instance, find a file in the first pane, than type mo(ve) in the second, and then the distination folder in the third. In LB I find the file, then tab, then find the distination fold, then enter, then type 1 to move it. My hands are all over the keyboard it seems. Is it just me? Is there a more simple way? Maybe I just need to practice.

Best,
malthe