Quicksilver switcher - A couple things I miss...

General discussions about LaunchBar
eirkeirkeirk

Quicksilver switcher - A couple things I miss...

Post by eirkeirkeirk » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:10 am

I'm liking LaunchBar 5 so far. Since Quicksilver isn't going to see new life, I've got to make it work for me!

A couple things I miss from Quicksilver, though. Can I do these with Launchbar?

- emailing Finder selections. I know how to bring the current Finder selection into Launchbar, but can I then quickly email it to someone directly from Launchbar? I never knew how much I did this with Quicksilver until now!

- Also, is it possible to compose an email to someone a little bit faster? With QS, I would just have to bring up the contact and hit Enter. With LB, I need to bring up the contact, then navigate to their email, then I can hit Enter to start the new email. Can I shorten this to a single step like QS?

That's it for now.

Thanks a ton!

Erik

Greg Jones
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Quicksilver switcher - A couple things I miss...

Post by Greg Jones » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:23 pm

Set your LaunchBar preference 'Actions>Default Action>Contacts' to 'Open First Contact Detail'. This will address both of your questions. For question #1, bring the current Finder selection into LaunchBar, type enough to display the desired contact, and hit return*. Mail will create a new email message to that contact with the selected file as an attachment. For question #2, just skip the current Finder selection step mentioned above.

* If you don't want to change LaunchBar's Default Action preference setting for contacts, substitute shift-return in the above to accomplish the same thing.

eirkeirkeirk

Post by eirkeirkeirk » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:19 pm

Thanks a lot!

Now that I'm getting more comfortable with LB, I'm finding that a lot of the same functionality I loved in QS is also in LB. Getting to it is just a little bit different. I'm certainly liking LB more and more. I do miss the big juicy icons that QS gave me, though. I wish there were different GUI options for LB.

Thanks again,
Erik

Forumposter

Post by Forumposter » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:05 pm

I just hijack this topic instead of creating a new one.
What I miss the most is the Bezel "Theme".
I use a 22" Display and the font is just to small. I prefer big icons in the middle of the screen.
Are there any plans to implement Theme functionality or at least a feature to increase the icon size?

ScottNYC

Post by ScottNYC » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:08 pm

Ya I would love to see some themes, Even if that couldnt happen, what about just being able to make the launchbar more of a bezel look and feel, like with 1 passwords "go and fill login" , something along those lines, almost like a HUD bar, Im sure that can be implemented. I think this would be good not only because it would look 100 times better, but it would be easier to distinguish among other applications. I prefer to move the launchbar a few inches below the default position, and when summoning the bar at that position it can be more difficult to see when other application windows are running behind it, they all blend together. :D

FredSmith
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FredSmith » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:05 am

I was just about to create a new topic to ask for themes. I've been playing around with QSB and I find the larger display and fonts much easier to use, especially since the icons are nice and large.

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:11 pm

If implemented, please don't call them "themes". I'd prefer something like Display Styles (Growl's naming).

OJB

Post by OJB » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:48 pm

I am also a switcher and overall I like Launchbar more than QS, except for one missing feature: the ability to assign keyboard shortcuts to files/applications (I think QS called them triggers). I use command-control-shift-x (where x is any key) to launch and switch between apps. Currently I need a second program (DragThing currently) just to do this. If LB did this as well it would be an almost perfect utility for me!

pendolino

Post by pendolino » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:13 pm

i never realized how extremely valuable quicksilver triggers were until i lost them for the first few days after switching to snow leopard and having issues with QS getting it up and running but now that i have got it working again i am back in my OSX zone. in those few days that i contemplated dropping QS i tried to find any app that could replicate things like assigning triggers to F-keys and other similar setups but nothing would do that.

back to QS and happy for now. launchbar should try to replicate this feature though.

ruflin

Post by ruflin » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:42 pm

I also thought about switching from Quicksilver to Launchbar. But I have a lot of shortcuts I use like opening Safari with F1 or open the clipboard history with [alt]-v etc.
Is there really no option to do this in Launchbar? Alternatives?

pendolino

Post by pendolino » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:58 am

ruflin - i am guessing its far from easy to replicate the Trigger feature of Quicksilver or else Launchbar would have come up with it.

ianthewright

Post by ianthewright » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:28 pm

I am completely with you all. I am making the switch... well, enforcing it hasn't been too difficult. I am becoming very impressed with Launchbar very quickly and it is going to be my replacement for QS.

Triggers are a big one. I'm running QS still purely for that, I have bit by bit dropped it for everything else. I'm not really interested in having another program fire up at launch for triggers, let alone another application to rely on. A large reason I have gone with Launchbar is the reputation of the developer and the groundwork done over a long period of time. I don't usually mind jumping around and trying stuff, but an application like this I need to know it's a long term commitment as i rely on it heavily.

Are triggers on the ToDo list for launchbar? It would be nice to know one way or another, so as to know wether people should be shopping around for a solution.

The real immediate big one is the GUI. Much as I am loving LB the GUI is starting to irritate me, it gets lost very easily and i really miss the QS bezel. Not necessarily the icons but the fact it popped out very deliberately and smoothly over anything on the screen making it bold and easy to focus on quickly.

The bar is fine, however i would love to see it larger and beveled so i could see what i was doing a little more clearly.

Really enjoying the easy to use functionality, there are important areas it's working better for me than QS.

pendolino

Post by pendolino » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:15 pm

a new QS that's more at home with snow leopard has been released here http://groups.google.com/group/blacktre ... 1b3f217553

FredSmith
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FredSmith » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:33 am

Whoa!

And QuickSilver lives again. :shock:

Much snappier and a lot more stable…at last!

To be honest, the larger size just about swings it for me. On a large hi-res screen, LB is too small to comfortably work with (for me anyway)

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:16 am

ianthewright wrote:The real immediate big one is the GUI. Much as I am loving LB the GUI is starting to irritate me, it gets lost very easily and i really miss the QS bezel. Not necessarily the icons but the fact it popped out very deliberately and smoothly over anything on the screen making it bold and easy to focus on quickly.

LaunchBar's minimalistic UI is intentional. We tried to make it as unobtrusive as possible, so that it doesn't distract you from your current work, which is especially important if you invoke LaunchBar fairly often.

Note that LaunchBar is actually not meant to be placed in the middle of the screen (it feels lost there indeed). I'd recommend to keep it at the top edge of the screen, so that it pops out of the menu bar, same as the Spotlight menu.