sparkle updating and auto-dock icon hiding

General discussions about LaunchBar
iFloris

sparkle updating and auto-dock icon hiding

Post by iFloris » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:13 pm

Hello,

I've purchased a family license for Launchbar because I find it has helped me work faster and more efficiently.
My partner has also taken to the application, hence the purchase of the family license.

Overall, I am very pleased with the way the application works.
I would like to make two requests that, while perhaps minor, would alleviate two annoyances of ours.

Firstly, I think it would be much more convenient if launchbar would support some kind of built-in updating mechanism, along the lines of the sparkle framework.

Secondly, I would prefer if the 'hide dock icon' preference stuck.
The way that it's currently set, warning users of the changes in functionality are very good; but when I've read them and still want to continue, perhaps the setting could be remembered between updates.

I would appreciate any thoughts or feedback on my suggestions.

With kind regards,

Floris

MacLemon

Re: sparkle updating and auto-dock icon hiding

Post by MacLemon » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:16 am

Another definitive vote for Sparkle powered Auto-Updates!

I mean, how are you supposed to launch the updated LaunchBar without LaunchBar? :-)
Best regards
MacLemon

ptujec
Wizard
Wizard

Post by ptujec » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:49 pm

*seconded* #sparkle

FredSmith
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FredSmith » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:17 pm

Yep, I'd like to see Sparkle used if possible.

LouisC

Post by LouisC » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:11 pm

It is indeed incredibly awkward to launch Launchbar directly after updating without Launchbar. Spotlight isn't nearly as fast :(

Greg Jones
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Greg Jones » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:42 pm

Sparkle updating would be nice, but until when/if that happens, here are a couple of ways to start LaunchBar if it is not already running that are faster than navigating to LB in the Finder or using Spotlight. First, drag the LB icon into the toolbar or to the side bar of the Finder (or Path Finder). Double-clicking on this icon will launch LB if it is not already active. As a bonus, if LB is running you can drag files to this icon to send them to LB for further processing. Second, if LB is not running, select anything that will activate LB's Services menu and either select the menu or activate the menu command (Cmd-Shift-F1) and LB will launch.

ZevEisenberg

Post by ZevEisenberg » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:29 pm

Hey obdev, not sure if you've looked into Sparkle (http://sparkle.andymatuschak.org/), but it's insanely easy to implement. You just drop the framework into your app before you build it. That's it. Even if you want to configure it, the coding is minimal. It would be great to know if you're planning on implementing this, because it would make the upgrade process sooo much easier!