LB 5RC1 and Firefox 3 Bookmark/History Problem

General discussions about LaunchBar
auctoris

LB 5RC1 and Firefox 3 Bookmark/History Problem

Post by auctoris » Tue May 05, 2009 12:09 am

I don't know how long this has been going on so I don't know if it is unique to LB5. LaunchBar has many more entries in the Firefox Bookmarks and History index than are actually in Firefox. When I view all bookmarks in Firefox, there are about 2,500. LaunchBar has over 60,000 in the Firefox Bookmarks index. When I view all history items in Firefox, there are about 700 items. LaunchBar has over 2,500 items in the Firefox History index.

In LaunchBar's Firefox Bookmark index there are over 58,000 entries that say "Live Bookmark Loading . . .". To my knowledge, I do not have any live bookmarks in Firefox.

I can't tell where it's getting the extra history items.

I have deleted the indexes from LaunchBar and re-added them. That did not change anything--the "extra" entries are still there.

Any ideas where LaunchBar is getting these items and how I can get rid of them?

Thanks

LaunchBar 5.0 RC 1 (637)
Firefox 3.0.3
Mac OS X 10.5.6

ashkanr

Re: LB 5RC1 and Firefox 3 Bookmark/History Problem

Post by ashkanr » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:31 pm

The same problem with Version 5.0 RC 4 (644). Release notes say that it has been fixed but apparently it is not. Any update in way?

Cheers,

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:29 pm

Do you have multiple Firefox profiles in your ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles folder? If yes, LaunchBar has possibly picked the wrong one for indexing.

To correct this, open the Options pane of your Firefox Bookmarks (or History) indexing rule, and drag the places.sql file from the correct profile in Finder onto the file icon in the Options pane:

Firefox.png
Firefox.png (32.15 KiB) Viewed 5234 times

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:18 pm

norbert wrote:Do you have multiple Firefox profiles in your ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles folder? If yes, LaunchBar has possibly picked the wrong one for indexing.

To correct this, open the Options pane of your Firefox Bookmarks (or History) indexing rule, and drag the places.sql file from the correct profile in Finder onto the file icon in the Options pane.

We’ve improved the detection of the current Firefox profile in the final version of LaunchBar 5. So if your Firefox indexing rule points to the wrong profile, you can simply delete the indexing rule, and create a new one, which will then pick the correct profile.

randoman

Post by randoman » Mon May 24, 2010 5:25 am

norbert wrote:Do you have multiple Firefox profiles in your ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles folder? If yes, LaunchBar has possibly picked the wrong one for indexing.

To correct this, open the Options pane of your Firefox Bookmarks (or History) indexing rule, and drag the places.sql file from the correct profile in Finder onto the file icon in the Options pane.

Following this did not work for me.

I dragged the file places.sql from the folder below

/Users/myusername/Dropbox/lp/Firefox

into the Options pane. No bookmarks appeared on updating?

randoman

Post by randoman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:30 am

I guess there has been no resolution to this problem yet?

Selecting the places.sqlite file from your active firefox profile *still* produces no indexing :(

Was
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Was » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:25 pm

I get this problem with the normal and nightly releases intermittently as well. The index for Firefox bookmarks and history will occasionally disappear, and re-indexing or re-adding places.sqlite to launchbar does not help. I've found using the firefox add-on 'vacuum places improved', which defragments the places.sqlite database helps, but this is hardly ideal. Increasingly tempted to try Alfred...

Was
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Was » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:22 pm

The same problem occurs occasionally with Firefox 4 beta, t - i.e. the Firefox bookmarks and history indexes are empty despite the correct places.sqlite database being used. However, it seems that if you use the following addon to 'vacuum' the places database, the indexes are restored. Also, vacuuming speeds up firefox if you use it occasionally:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -improved/