Great feature from b1 broken in b3 and up!

General discussions about LaunchBar
Silks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Great feature from b1 broken in b3 and up!

Post by Silks » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:27 am

Hey folks,
Wrote the developers and got no reply, so I'm posting about it here.
I enjoyed b1 of LaunchBar very much, and still enjoy the current builds, but an important feature that worked great in b1 has been broken in subsequent updates.
I use LB only for clipboard monitoring and pasting. In b1, selecting a previously copied item would paste it and move it to the top of the list. This worked great and saved me a lot of typing. In later versions, selecting an item pastes it but DOES NOT move it to the top of the list, therefore making me select it manually over and over, every time i need it.
My experience has been that a text item, once copied, is usually needed again very quickly, and oftentimes more than once. The new, unimproved behavior is bad, and especially annoying since they got it right the first time!
If you're with me, say yeah! :)

George the Flea
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by George the Flea » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:09 pm

Completely agreed; every clipboard manager I've ever used has worked like this, and it definitely works best for my workflow.

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:26 pm

Silks,
Objective Development usually responds quite fast and thoroughly, so maybe they just need a little more time. Your feature request seems very reasonable, so you can expect at least an answer.

Just make sure you submitted an official feature request to Objective Development here.

regards,
Ludwig

kastorff
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Great feature from b1 broken in b3 and up!

Post by kastorff » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:20 pm

Silks wrote:If you're with me, say yeah! :)

Agreed. I'd like that behavior, or even better, the choice of behaviors in Preferences.

Silks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Silks » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:58 pm

ludwigschubert: I wrote the developers over 3 weeks ago...

Subject: [LB#1425060] LaunchBar 5.0 beta 3.v630 (10.5.5.9F2114 Intel)
Date: 6 January 2009 12:10:16 GMT+02:00

No hard feelings, of course.
Glad others are with me on this :)

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dennis » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:02 am

Looks like this was fixed in b5. From the release notes:

The clipboard history selection is now preserved. Reopening the clipboard history now selects the previously selected history item.

-Dennis

Silks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Silks » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:04 am

Thanks for the tip, Dennis!
Just installed b5. The problem has been addressed, but not quite in the way I was referring to. Now, to select a previously-copied item, I scroll down to it, and the next time I invoke the menu, the last item I selected is highlighted in the list. It is *not* bumped up to the top.
It's an improvement over the previous beta, but I think I still prefer the behavior from b1. I like having all my recently-pasted items at the top of the list. A text item that I copied an hour ago can become useful again, but with this behavior, if I need to alternately paste two copied items, one which I copied a minute ago and one which I copied an hour ago, I still have to do a lot of scrolling between the two.
Having the most recently pasted item at the top of the list makes the list itself into a kind of "Greatest Hits" chart of all my copied items. The items which prove most useful rise to the top, while the unneeded ones fall by the wayside. Like Google's popularity algorithm, this method makes sure that the most useful items are always the easiest to reach.
So... Thanks for implementing this improvement, but I'd still like to see a return to the behavior from b1.

jpcirrus

Post by jpcirrus » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:35 am

.. and I hope that it stays the way it is in b5 :D

Silks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Silks » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:08 pm

because...?

George the Flea
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by George the Flea » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:29 pm

I'm with Silk on this one: the last copied item needs to be bumped up in the list, not given focus. Say I'm working on converting a Word doc to an HTML newsletter (unfortunately a weekly task). With PTHClipboard, I copy the placeholder HTML once, and then I can copy title, copy text, clean text in TextSoap, paste in title in various places, paste in text, copy first line of text, and paste the title and the first line in an index file. Then for the next story I paste the template HTML (at this point down somewhere around #6-9 in the list), and go about copying the second article.

Because the template HTML is brought to the top of the list on paste, it means I never have to copy it again for this session, and it's always easily reachable (because it keeps getting bumped up above the article-specific stuff that I only ever need once). The cruft sifts to the bottom (and out of history) while the stuff I need bubbles to the top and is always in reach.

Were I doing this with LaunchBar, as I continued to work I would have to scroll down further and further in the list to retrieve the template HTML. Additionally, because I can have at max 40 clipboard items, my template HTML would drop off the list after the sixth or seventh article.

I do think there's value in being able to paste something without having it jump to the top, but the default should be to bump the most recent paste. I think all the other clipboard managers I've tried to this for the very good reason that people tend to need something they've pasted twice more than something they've copied and pasted once, and I sincerely hope LaunchBar will switch to using the same behavior.

kastorff
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kastorff » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:58 pm

George the Flea wrote:I'm with Silk on this one: the last copied item needs to be bumped up in the list, not given focus. Say I'm working on converting a Word doc to an HTML newsletter (unfortunately a weekly task). With PTHClipboard, I copy the placeholder HTML once, and then I can copy title, copy text, clean text in TextSoap, paste in title in various places, paste in text, copy first line of text, and paste the title and the first line in an index file. Then for the next story I paste the template HTML (at this point down somewhere around #6-9 in the list), and go about copying the second article.

Because the template HTML is brought to the top of the list on paste, it means I never have to copy it again for this session, and it's always easily reachable (because it keeps getting bumped up above the article-specific stuff that I only ever need once). The cruft sifts to the bottom (and out of history) while the stuff I need bubbles to the top and is always in reach.

Were I doing this with LaunchBar, as I continued to work I would have to scroll down further and further in the list to retrieve the template HTML. Additionally, because I can have at max 40 clipboard items, my template HTML would drop off the list after the sixth or seventh article.

I do think there's value in being able to paste something without having it jump to the top, but the default should be to bump the most recent paste. I think all the other clipboard managers I've tried to this for the very good reason that people tend to need something they've pasted twice more than something they've copied and pasted once, and I sincerely hope LaunchBar will switch to using the same behavior.

+1

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:10 am

George the Flea wrote:I do think there's value in being able to paste something without having it jump to the top, but the default should be to bump the most recent paste.

I agree, for at least reasons and examples like you've mentioned.

Silks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Silks » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:01 pm

And... It's back!!! (In the new b6)
Thanks for listening, developers!