Anyone know how to see file paths? (Files with same names)

General discussions about LaunchBar
sprynmr

Anyone know how to see file paths? (Files with same names)

Post by sprynmr » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:41 am

So I have a couple codebases on my system which have essentially the same file names within them, but they are different versions of a project. I would like to know which codebase I'm looking at without having to mouseover the launchbar area for a couple seconds for each file.

So I have ->

projectV1/path/to/some/buried/file/common.css

projectV1.5/path/to/some/buried/file/common.css

I want to be able to type commoncss and quickly choose the right file.

Any takers?

Best,
Bob

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dennis » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:24 am

You should be able to see the path of the current selection to the right of the item name on the bar.

Also, you can see paths on items in search results by going to Preferences -> Appearance -> Search Result Menu -> Show Details. Then select the "Name and Details" option from the menu.

-Dennis

sprynmr

Post by sprynmr » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:24 pm

Right but its a very truncated view. Maybe there is a preference for increasing the size of the bar overall?

Just checked and you can increase by actually dragging the end of the bar. Was not aware of that!

Awesome.

Problem solved. Thanks!

cod

Post by cod » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:46 pm

I have this problem. I'd like to see the paths appear in all the search results as you type, as well as in the details for the selected result.

The "Show details" option helps a bit, but it's not quite enough. The "details" for a file or folder are its path abbreviated to two path fragments. For example:

MyFile.java - .../trunk/src
MyFile.java - .../1.0/src
MyFile.java - .../1.1/src
MyFile.java - .../1.2/src

I'd like to be able to expand these out to a full path, or at least choose more than two visible path fragments (four or five should be sufficient for my purposes). For example:

MyFile.java - .../my-project/trunk/src
MyFile.java - .../my-project/branches/1.0/src
MyFile.java - .../my-project/branches/1.1/src
MyFile.java - .../my-project/branches/1.2/src

This is just a suggestion. I don't want to be negative about Launchbar. I'm totally enamoured with the software and have been since v3.

Cheers,

-- Dave