I can't find it!

General discussions about LaunchBar
ajoyce

I can't find it!

Post by ajoyce » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:32 pm

I started using Launchbar because spotlight wasn't finding the files that I knew were there. At first Launchbar seemed to find those files. But, now I'm being frustrated all over again. I can't find a lot of my files. To see this, I opened a folder and noted the files in it. Then I used Launchbar to find those files. I couldn't get any of them to show up in Launchbar.

I've looked at the index rules and I have *everything* checked so it should find what I'm looking to find. It does not! All I want to do is have a program that will let me find my files. Looking for one file out of thousands is no fun.

There are many files that Launchbar will find and some of my most common files that I use all the time are right there. And, it's quite a treat to be able to type a couple of letters and hold the last letter I type to have the file open automatically. But, when I'm looking for something I know exists and can't find it, I'm frustrated.

Please... someone help!

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: I can't find it!

Post by ludwigschubert » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:38 pm

ajoyce wrote:[…]I have *everything* checked so it should find what I'm looking to find.

Not necessarily. If you want to find files which are at "uncommon" locations, you'll need to add those to your index first.

It seems unlikely that there's reallt a bug in LaunchBar, so maybe you could – as painstakingly as it sounds - show us screenshots or descriptions of actual files in folders that are in the index and what you tried to search for them?

BTW, it also greatly surprises me that Spotlight shouldn't find those files. Have you checked that the folder isn't excluded from spotlight indexing?

ajoyce

Re: I can't find it!

Post by ajoyce » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:53 am

ludwigschubert wrote:It seems unlikely that there's reallt a bug in LaunchBar, so maybe you could – as painstakingly as it sounds - show us screenshots or descriptions of actual files in folders that are in the index and what you tried to search for them?

BTW, it also greatly surprises me that Spotlight shouldn't find those files. Have you checked that the folder isn't excluded from spotlight indexing?

I'm not saying that there's a bug in LaunchBar. What I'm saying is that I'm not sure if I'm using it right. I've been reading the help files and the program is actually quite complicated (in a good kind of way) so I may be missing something.

I'm not sure I know just what you want me to send you regarding a screenshot. I can tell you that one of the things I was trying to find was a file at the following location user/library/application support/iwork/pages/templates/my templates/ and the file was named: Sermon Template.
I'll attach a screen shot of the index setting for Launchbar that shows it's supposed to index that location.
I can also attach a screenshot that shows my looking for the file. There are so many things that come up that the list won't show all the hits, but as I scrolled through the list, there wasn't any mention of the file.

I'm also unsure how to search for something that has more than one word in the filename. And I've discovered that you really need to be a quick typer in order to get even the first word entered. The slightest pause and I'm back to square one.

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:19 am

Ok, the screenshots are perfect :)
The folder you mentioned is not in the index, although I see that this might not be very obvious.

The indexing rule that you showed me a screenshot of contains only what it displays: the top folders in your home directory. You can click on the "Options" tab to see the details on why this rule does what it does.

For your iWork templates I'd recommend just adding the "templates" folder to your index.

The reason that it's hard to type a whole word: because you usually don't need to. Once your file is in the index, it should be accessible by a few keystrokes like SL or SELI or SERM etc.

I agree that there probably should be better tutorials and that the default indexing rules might need some work. (For example, including iWork templates by default seems like a good idea)

regards,
Ludwig

ajoyce

Post by ajoyce » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:31 pm

OK - I see what you're saying, I think.

So, if in the "options" tab I select for the User/Library files, "Search All Subfolders" and I don't want to search all the subfolders but only want to search about 6 of the 56 subfolders in the Library folder (but I want it to search all the subfolders included in the six I've selected in the Library folder, then I should drag the 50 subfolders, of the Library folder, that I don't want searched into the "Skip Subfolders" rule box. Is that correct?

If I understand correctly, the "Search for: (default Folders)" in the Options tab is only going to look for folders and not particular files in the subfolders being searched. So that would need to be changed to "Any Item" in order to find files that have been created in the folders. Is that correct?

When LaunchBar displays the results of my search, it seems to show things that have nothing to do with what I was searching. For example, if I type into LaunchBar to find the "Sermon Template" and I type the word "sermon" it displays things like an Address Book listing called "Steve Rebmann (work)" and there's nothing I can find in that listing that has the word "sermon" in it. Why would things like this be displayed? And is there any way to get the displayed list to show sorted alphabetically? If I know the file I'm looking for starts with the word "sermon" then I would think that I should be able to scroll in the list to the words starting with "s" and find it.

The more I understand about LaunchBar, the more I like what I see. I've been studying the help files to try to understand how to use the program to its best ability, but I sometimes get quite confused as to how best to do something. Please understand that I am not criticizing the way LaunchBar works, I'm just trying to get a handle on it and I appreciate your responses.

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:26 pm

Sure, LaunchBar moves in mysterious ways, sometimes… :D

If you type "sermon" into LaunchBar it will indeed still find contacts like "StEve RebMann (wOrk)". Maybe it's best to froget about the notion that you type any words whatsoever into LaunchBar. Instead, you type abbreviations.

On the topic of folders, I usually think it's easiest to just drag those folders you want directly into LaunchBar's index's sidebar. But your approach would work correctly.

If I understand correctly, the "Search for: (default Folders)" in the Options tab is only going to look for folders and not particular files in the subfolders being searched. So that would need to be changed to "Any Item" in order to find files that have been created in the folders. Is that correct?

Sure! 8)

Don't be shy of criticizing LaunchBar or asking questions, please! This is a user forum, after all, and I'm helping you out of free will :D
If I had my way Objective Development should study your struggles in detail to try to make LaunchBar's UI better and clearer!

ajoyce

Post by ajoyce » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:48 am

ludwigschubert wrote: This is a user forum, after all, and I'm helping you out of free will :D
If I had my way Objective Development should study your struggles in detail to try to make LaunchBar's UI better and clearer!

I take it from your comment that you aren't on the staff of Objective Development. I had thought that you were. So, in that case, I am even more appreciative of your help. Thank you.

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:36 am

ajoyce wrote:I take it from your comment that you aren't on the staff of Objective Development. I had thought that you were. […] Thank you.

Haha, no, I'm not 8)
That's another one for my douchey signature that I normally never use.
You're welcome!