Launching New iCal Event Script

General discussions about LaunchBar
chum

Post by chum » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:11 pm

Greetings!

I'm new to LaunchBar and the forum.

I've created the iCal New Event/To Do automator workflow as described at http://www.macworld.com/article/132889/ ... vents.html
but haven't been able to figure out how to assign a keyboard shortcut/use LaunchBar to start this workflow with a couple of keystrokes.

I've surveyed the LB help menu, but can't seem to find an answer. I'm sure it's there, but I just can't see it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Merry Christmas!

Chum

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dennis » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:33 am

LaunchBar doesn't currently support assigning keyboard shortcuts to items. LaunchBar's focus is on abbreviation searches: invoke LaunchBar, type in an abbreviation, and so on.

You can, however, assign a single-character abbreviation to an item so you could invoke LaunchBar and then hit that single character (e.g. Command-Space followed by "e" for event or whatever you like).

As an aside, I personally prefer LaunchBar's abbreviation approach over assigning specific keyboard shortcuts. Frankly, I already have too many keyboard shortcuts to remember. With LaunchBar, I only have to remember one more keyboard shortcut: Command-Space.

-Dennis

chum

Can't Assign Abbreviation

Post by chum » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:16 am

Hi and thanks for your reply.

Ive attempted to assign an abbreviation to start the automator workflow, but I keep receiving the LaunchBar error: Can't Assign Abbreviation: The selected item is not part of your LaunchBar index, therefore it can't be selected via abbreviation search.

So, I forced LB to re-index everything but keep getting the same error.

BTW, the file itself is named Create iCalEvents.app

Thanks again for your help.

Chum

Kenha

Post by Kenha » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:02 am

Hi,

I use this app many times daily and have been able to assign the abbriviation, EV, to it.

Mine is named New iCal Event.

Can you invoke you app if you use CI as the abbreviation?

chum

Launching New iCal Event Script Reply

Post by chum » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:04 am

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion. However, LB won't let me assign an abbreviation of any kind. Please see above.

Thanks...I'm still scratching my head.

Chum

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:24 pm

Well, even though LaunchBar reindexed it's index, your workflow is not in that index.

The easiest way to change this is to add the workflow to the "custom list" in your index. Then LaunchBar will find it and let you assign a shortcut to it.

I've told Objective Development for years (1.5 years, actually :) ) to change the behavior of ⌘⌥A to just add the currently selected item to a custom list. Name it "Custom abbreviations" or whatever, just make it more intuitive and understandable.
Ah, enough of my ramblings, here's your answer :)

chum

Post by chum » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:52 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the instructions!

When I opened my configuration window I discovered that my documents folder (where the file exists that I want to abbreviate, and launch) was not checked. That explains why it wasn't found in the index. Added the documents to the search index and presto!

It's up and rocking now.

Many thanks to all who helped and Seasons Greetings!

Chum