2 issues with bookmark folders

General discussions about LaunchBar
bigcloits
Rank 2
Rank 2

2 issues with bookmark folders

Post by bigcloits » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:22 pm

I love that I can open up all the bookmarks in a bookmark folder from LB, but there seem to be a couple of significant limitations with it as well.

First, I can’t open the bookmarks in tabs, which seems to be a likely default. Does anyone prefer to open a bunch of pages in separate windows? Not me! Am I missing a preference for this, or some way of choosing separate windows or tabs?

Second, and worse, LB seems to hang while Safari painstakingly opens the 20 or so windows. Given that I use LB more often than I blink, it’s absolutely maddening to wait — horrors — a full minute before LB becomes responsive again. This issue seems a little on the buggy side. I would hope there’s no particular reason why LB couldn’t send some bookmarks to Safari and then get on with life, rather than waiting on Safari to open 20 webpages.

Comments, suggestions?

jpcirrus

Post by jpcirrus » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:46 am

LB opens my bookmark folders in tabs. This is not determined by LB but in your Safari General preferences: Open links from applications. Set that to in a new tab.

I have no issues with responsiveness during or after opening bookmark folders so there must be something specific with your set-up.

bigcloits
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bigcloits » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:07 pm

jpcirrus wrote:LB opens my bookmark folders in tabs. This is not determined by LB but in your Safari General preferences: Open links from applications. Set that to in a new tab.

Ah, quite so. Thanks for pointing that out.

It’s a shame though, because I still want links from other applications to open in separate windows. The thing is, most times that other apps are sending links to Safari, they are doing it one at a time. But LB can send an entire bucket of links to Safari at once ... and those I want to open in tabs. Hmm. Obviously, Safari’s preferences do not have per-app granularity.

Hmm.

Workarounds, anyone? Perhaps send the URLs to a script which tells Safari to open them in tabs? That sounds workable, but I have no idea how to write it.

I have no issues with responsiveness during or after opening bookmark folders so there must be something specific with your set-up.

Boy, I sure do. I can’t imagine what it would be about my setup that would be doing this. We’re talking about opening windows here. Why would LB lock up while Safari opens the URLs LB sent? Makes no sense. If anyone can think how to troubleshoot this, I’d be grateful.