Do you icon..?

General discussions about LaunchBar
beejay
Rank 2
Rank 2

Do you icon..?

Post by beejay » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:28 am

Just an informal poll - are most people running LB as a regular application, or are most people running in hidden dock mode?

I've been using LB since v3, and always running it as a regular app with menu bar and dock icon (although I hate and don't use the dock, it's buried on my machine) and in trying out the new features in LB5 I've tried the hidden dock mode, and I think I prefer it (though I'm so used to having a running LB icon in the task switcher I felt naked without it... :)

Note: The task switcher (command-tab) icon in LB5 is still the old LB4 icon, not the new icon - or is this some kind of OSX cache thing..?

So for me, it's thumbs up for hidden mode, without many disadvantages that affect me. How about you..?

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Do you icon..?

Post by Dennis » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:39 am

beejay wrote:Just an informal poll - are most people running LB as a regular application, or are most people running in hidden dock mode?

I started using LaunchBar right around the time version 4 came out. I've always run it as a regular app too, with icon in Dock.

I think the main reason I keep the icon in the Dock is I sometimes find myself tabbing through the app switcher (Command-Tab) and suddenly realize I need something from LaunchBar (usually to launch an app that's not running). So I just Command-Tab right over to LaunchBar rather than escaping from the app switcher and invoking LaunchBar's keyboard shortcut.

Maybe it's a lame excuse, but I also really like how the new LaunchBar icon looks. It'd be a shame to hide it. :-)

beejay wrote:Note: The task switcher (command-tab) icon in LB5 is still the old LB4 icon, not the new icon - or is this some kind of OSX cache thing..?

This is not the case on my machine. I see only the new icon. This makes me think you're seeing some kind of caching issue.

-Dennis

beejay
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by beejay » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:51 am

Rebooted, tried again - still shows the old icon in the task switcher (and dock). I moved the LB app out of the apps folder, then back in again - still the old icon.

I guess it's hanging in there for dear life... :)

(And yes, I *am* running LB5, not LB4 by mistake... ;)

Stormchild

Re: Do you icon..?

Post by Stormchild » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:30 am

Dennis wrote:Maybe it's a lame excuse, but I also really like how the new LaunchBar icon looks. It'd be a shame to hide it. :-)

I've always had the LB icon hidden, but there are a couple problems with that in LB5, so I decided to just let it run as a normal app (with Dock icon). Mostly I just wanted to avoid those issues, but I have to admit I also love the new icon and don't mind seeing it in the Dock.

Great design!

beejay
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by beejay » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:45 am

Ok, I used Onyx to clean out the dock icon cache, and now the new icon shows correctly in LB5.

rhywun
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rhywun » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:57 am

I've run LaunchBar without the Dock icon without any issues for a couple years. With the new beta I'm leaving it in the Dock just to see if there's anything I miss by removing it, and so far I don't see any reason not to remove it again especially now that the ability to remove it is built in.

As for the icon... unfortunately I greatly prefer the old one. Sorry :(

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dennis » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:39 pm

rhywun wrote:As for the icon... unfortunately I greatly prefer the old one. Sorry :(

The old icon wasn't bad but it always reminded of those carnival balloons that clowns tie into little animal shapes. :-)

rhywun
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rhywun » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:45 am

Heh, I didn't notice that. Now I miss it more :)