What do the new custom modifier taps do?

General discussions about LaunchBar
greck

Post by greck » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:14 pm

Been waiting for modifier taps for a long time, thanks!

It appears that although I can select single-key for search and double-key for Instant Send, the double-key gets eaten and I get the search bar (presumably from the first tap) and my "you broke it" system sound (presumably from the second tap). Any combination of the same key single and double seems to yield this behaviour; double taps work great for IS as long as I don't configure the same key as search.

Any chance handling this case could be included? It seems very natural to have one-tap search and double-tap IS on the same key...

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:07 am

Activate the "nonactivating mode" on the "General" pane, it works as expected.
Dunno how this mode behaves differently apart from this, though.

I sent Objective Development an email and will post their answer here as soon as I get it :)

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dennis » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:34 am

It seems the "nonactivating mode" allows you to invoke LaunchBar without bringing it to the front. This is more apparent if you run LaunchBar with the Dock icon visible.

I'm not really sure why you would want to do this however. I tried it for a while but later decided I liked it better with "nonactivating mode" turned off. Unfortunately, now I can't remember why. :?

-Dennis

greck

Post by greck » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:20 am

ludwigschubert, thank you for offering up ObDev's reply... I figured since it's a beta and this is a VERY low priority, I'd take the highly asynchronous forum route.

Dennis, if you remember why you decided you didn't like nonactivating mode, please let us know!

That said, it works exactly as described by ludwigschubert (in fact, I get the Instant Send sound now for the first time), and even cmd-, for prefs continues to work even when LB isn't in the foreground... curious. But perfectly OK with me, I'll use it this way and if I come across any caveats I'll follow up.

bigcloits
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bigcloits » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:33 am

This is very cool feature, yes, I am very happy, but clearly it goes not far enough: I would please now like to activate the LaunchingBar search by thinking about it with my frontal lobes, or perhaps with glottal stop. Please to implement. Thank you.