Launchbar 5 demos?

General discussions about LaunchBar
sclough

Launchbar 5 demos?

Post by sclough » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:01 pm

I'm just wondering if there are any good writeups or video demos that show Launchbar 5's new capabilities? I haven't found any yet. I'm especially interested in tricks around file manipulation and ways to really reduce mouse usage via LB.

I guess I've been using Quicksilver too long. It's very obvious "noun verb noun" way of showing things let me find and discover features pretty quickly. I'm playing with the LB beta, but for some reason it just hasn't "clicked" with me yet the way QS does. They only tutorials I've found out there have been simple searches or app launches and I can do that.

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dennis » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:14 pm

I don't know of any tutorials specifically for LaunchBar 5 yet, but there are a few floating around from LaunchBar 4. And many (most?) of the file operations in LaunchBar 5 existed under LaunchBar 4 as well, so it should be enough to get you started.

Jason Snell of Macworld has a bit of an overview here:

http://www.macworld.com/article/137376/2008/12/launchbar5_beta.html

Also, ScreenCastsOnline has a couple of old tutorials (membership required):

http://www.screencastsonline.com/index_files/SCO00011.php
http://www.screencastsonline.com/index_files/SCO0012.php

But I can tell you the basics aren't that much different than QS. With LaunchBar, you still use two nouns (a subject and an object), sending one item to another. But the verb is determined automatically. This might give you slightly less flexibility, but I personally think that's a small trade-off for much greater simplicity and ease of use. In most cases you can accomplish exactly the same thing in fewer total keystrokes and less fiddling around. Here's a quick example:

To move a file from your Desktop to your Documents folder:

1. Select the item to be moved (the subject) in LaunchBar. In this example, it'll be a file on your Dekstop.
  2. Hit the Tab key to tell LaunchBar that you intend to send the file to something else.
  3. Select the destination (the object) in LaunchBar. This could be a folder, a script, another app, etc. In this example, it'd be your Documents folder.
  4. If you hit Return, LaunchBar will display a popup that allows you to specify whether you want to copy, move, create an alias, hard link, symbolic link, etc. To make it even easier though, LaunchBar 5 also supports common Mac modifier keys so you can bypass the menu altogether: Command-Return to move, Option-Return to copy, Command-Option to create an alias.

This simple "subject TAB object RETURN" pattern works for sending just about anything to just about anything.

Hope this helps,
Dennis

sclough

Post by sclough » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:07 pm

Thanks. I've also been reading through the documentation page by page (what a concept?) so I'm slowly getting it.

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:37 pm

I've had the concepts for awhile but my efficiency of interacting with some of them is still lagging. :)