LB5 Help Window Request

General discussions about LaunchBar
wvtechie

LB5 Help Window Request

Post by wvtechie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:38 pm

Please don't force the help window to always be on top. I have it set to a large size so I can easily read it, and it often blocks other LB windows with which I'm trying to interact. This can very confusing if you enter a key combination which brings up a window, but the window is completely covered by the help window.

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:59 pm

That's a fault with Apple's implementation of the help browser.
Try the built-in help in any application, the help window will always be on top.

So maybe that's another reason why the help file should be available as a PDF, too?

Greg Jones
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Greg Jones » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:58 pm

There's a terminal command to fix this in Leopard, but I've not tried it myself. Google "Set Help Viewer windows to non-floating mode" will get you the info on how to do it.

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:08 pm

There are ways to make the Leopard Help window not be floating. Web search for instructions; they're probably on MacOSXHints, for example. (Edit: Whoops, Greg's post beat mine :)) Also, the Help window can by minimized by double-clicking its title bar.

Or just open LaunchBar Help in a browser window:

file:///Applications/LaunchBar.app/Contents/Resources/Help/index.html

(Safari probably won't launch that link directly, at least not 3.2.1 on 10.5.5)

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dennis » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:23 am

To change Leopard's Help Viewer window from "floating" to a "normal" window, use this:

Code: Select all

defaults write com.apple.helpviewer NormalWindow -bool true

I've been using Leopard's Help Viewer as a "normal" window for months, but it sometimes still behaves strangely (like sometimes coming up buried behind other windows when you invoke Help from the menu bar). It's nothing really bad or annoying, nor is it consistent; just seems to do unexpected things sometimes.

Note that this is in no way caused by or even related to LaunchBar. It's Apple's issue.

sjk wrote:Or just open LaunchBar Help in a browser window:

file:///Applications/LaunchBar.app/Contents/Resources/Help/index.html

That's a great idea, sjk. In fact, I just added a bookmark in Safari. Makes it much easier to browse the manual at my leisure. There's a lot of useful information in there!

-Dennis

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:58 am

Dennis wrote:use this

Hey, don't make it too easy. :)

That's a great idea, sjk.

You're welcome. :)

Of course it can be useful for browsing HTML help in other application bundles, too.

rhywun
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rhywun » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:15 am

Is there any way to get that file link to work in Firefox?

Yeah, the Apple help is sooooo broken in Leopard. It's slow as mud, the links don't give any feedback so I click on them over and over without knowing if something is going to happen, and of course the on-top-of-all-other-windows thing. I'm going to check out that Terminal tip; thanks for that.

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dennis » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:17 am

rhywun wrote:Is there any way to get that file link to work in Firefox?

Sure, just copy it from the web page and paste it into Firefox's address field. It should work with any browser on the Mac (nothing Safari-specific about it).

-Dennis