LB5: Calculator results can be copied to the clipboard!

General discussions about LaunchBar
sampler

LB5: Calculator results can be copied to the clipboard!

Post by sampler » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:34 pm

I don't see this in the "What's new" screen or Help. In LB 5, cmd-c will copy calculator results to the clipboard. This greatly enhances the the value of the calculator. I think this capability should be added to the What's New listing.

Thank you, Norbert!

-Steven

jpcirrus

Post by jpcirrus » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:30 pm

Yes, it is great. And it extends beyond the calculator -- now any large type display can be dismissed and copied to the clipboard with ⌘C.

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: LB5: Calculator results can be copied to the clipboard!

Post by Dennis » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:59 pm

sampler wrote:I don't see this in the "What's new" screen or Help. In LB 5, cmd-c will copy calculator results to the clipboard. This greatly enhances the the value of the calculator. I think this capability should be added to the What's New listing.

It's probably not listed on the "What's new" screen for LaunchBar 5 because it's not new. I used this feature all the time in LaunchBar 4.

But I agree that it is very handy.

-Dennis

veke
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by veke » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:11 am

Agree, been using it all the time. What is also enhanced in LB5 seem to be the fact that you DON'T need to copy the result to use it in a new calculation. It's automatically put in if you bring the calculator up again. With the dock icon hidden I always had to remember to copy it and the paste to use in subsequent calculations, but it seems to work with the icon hidden now. Very nice :)

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dennis » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:58 am

veke wrote:What is also enhanced in LB5 seem to be the fact that you DON'T need to copy the result to use it in a new calculation. It's automatically put in if you bring the calculator up again. With the dock icon hidden I always had to remember to copy it and the paste to use in subsequent calculations, but it seems to work with the icon hidden now.

Actually, that was in LaunchBar 4 as well! I used it all the time (if I'm understanding you correctly).

I would bring up the calculator, type in some equation (e.g. 5+5) and hit return. LaunchBar would display the result of 10. While the result was still showing, I'd hit / and LaunchBar would automatically apply that operator to the result of my previous calculation (e.g. 10/), allowing me to just type in the next number (e..g. 10/5) before hitting return to see the results again. You could continue on indefinitely without ever having to copy or paste. I used this all the time in LaunchBar 4, so it's certainly not new.

What is new in LaunchBar 5 is the underlying calculator used. Previously, LaunchBar used Perl. Now it uses the bc language and Unix utility, which is a lot more powerful and provides greater flexibility and extensibility.

-Dennis

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:22 pm

Dennis wrote:Previously, LaunchBar used Perl.

Speaking of Perl…

jwz's comments in the mork.pl script LB uses to read the Mozilla URL history file are hilarious. :lol:

veke
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by veke » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:21 pm

Dennis wrote:
veke wrote:What is also enhanced in LB5 seem to be the fact that you DON'T need to copy the result to use it in a new calculation. It's automatically put in if you bring the calculator up again. With the dock icon hidden I always had to remember to copy it and the paste to use in subsequent calculations, but it seems to work with the icon hidden now.

Actually, that was in LaunchBar 4 as well! I used it all the time (if I'm understanding you correctly).

yes it was, but it didn't work with the icon hidden from the dock :) Actually it's kind of not working now either. Sometime it does, sometimes it doesn't. Would be great to have it working every time :)

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dennis » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:16 am

veke wrote:but it didn't work with the icon hidden from the dock

OK, that explains it. I've always had the icon visible in my Dock.

-Dennis