LB5 How do I restrict search to some file types?

General discussions about LaunchBar
brab

LB5 How do I restrict search to some file types?

Post by brab » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:28 pm

Hello,

I'm discovering Launchbar, and decided to try the beta version. Following some tips from the website, I tried to restrict a search by file type, but when I type "KIND" I don't see this category (I also could not find it in the Categories catalog).

So my question is: how can I restrict my search to a particular file type?

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: LB5 How do I restrict search to some file types?

Post by ludwigschubert » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:03 pm

brab wrote:Following some tips from the website, I tried to restrict a search by file type, but when I type "KIND" I don't see this category (I also could not find it in the Categories catalog).

I'd like to know where you got this tip from...

To search only for a specific file kind, simply type the category name for it (e.g. video). You'll see some categories, can choose yours and right-arrow into it. then you can search inside that category simply by typing.

Note, however, that for a system wide search for a specific file type, the "kind:video" syntax in Spotlight is preferable. LaunchBar is not intended to replace Spotlight!

brab

Post by brab » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:29 pm

I got it from here: http://www.obdev.at/products/launchbar/tips.html

Type e.g. KIND to select the “Items Grouped by Kind” indexing rule
Press Space to sub-search for a specific kind of items

What I wanted to do was to find all my bibtex files, and I could not find an easy way to do it.

Jono
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jono » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:56 pm

That looks as though it would be very useful. If it worked.

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:43 am

Hm. You're right, that would be useful, but I can't get it to work, either.
I searched through my index looking for stuff I might have disabled, but I found nothing. Maybe the text was left on the homepage accidentally?

I just tried with a completely new index, no "Items grouped by kind" either.

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dennis » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:12 am

This functionality still exists and is very useful. But the "Group by Kind" name was changed to "Categories" at some point (I think it happened in LaunchBar 4, so it's not something new).

If you look at your index (Index -> Show Index), you should see a Categories collection at the top of the sidebar. It's icon looks like an orange smart folder (folder with a gear/cog on it). In there, you can see all the file categories grouped by type.

If you type the abbreviation "CAT" on the bar, you should be able to bring up the categories index and drill down into it as well.

-Dennis