Services in LB5

General discussions about LaunchBar
robotank

Services in LB5

Post by robotank » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:21 am

LaunchBar 5 includes the ability to access Services menu funtions, but none of them are working properly for me. For example, if i select a URL and use LB to access the "Open URL" service, it inputs into the browser, "www.open20%20url.com" instead of the URL I selected. Similarly, if I select some text and use a service to put it into a new document in my word processor (Nisus Writer Pro), it opens the new document but only inserts the text "New document with selection." Clearly, LB isn't reading the selected text but merely adding the text in the service description. Does anyone have any suggestions or a different experience with this feature?

bigcloits
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bigcloits » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:52 pm

I can reproduce the behaviour you describe, but I can also get the behaviour you want. If you select some text and then bring up a service in LB, LB doesn’t know that you want to send the selected text to that service. I think. So what you have to do is send the selected text to LB (i.e. cmd and then HOLD the space bar), so that LB “has it,” and then tab, find the service you want with an abbreviation, et voila! Clear as mud?

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:12 pm

Yep, bigcloits is right, the official term for that is "instant send".

You get a sound confirmation and an orange arrow in LaunchBar to confirm that you're in instant send mode. Then you can type to select a service and it will work as expected.

This also applies to the Open URL service.

robotank

Post by robotank » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:14 am

That works perfectly. Thanks to both of you for clearing that up for me. :D

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:15 pm

Thanks for the explanations.

Not that it's easier, but I just discovered that the Send to LaunchBar service shortcut (default: Shift-Command-F1) also invokes Instant Send with the current selection.

Also noticed that if only an image is selected when Instant Send is triggered you hear its sound even though it's inactive. If text is also in the selection then any images are simply ignored.