Newbie question - copy/copy append - ClipMerge

General discussions about LaunchBar
jem

Newbie question - copy/copy append - ClipMerge

Post by jem » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:28 pm

I'm playing with launchbar for the first time in my life and it's quite interesting. But I haven't been able to figure out how the ClipMerge functionality work - it seem like things are always appended to the previous clipboard content while the preference setting indicate that I should press command-C twice for this to happen. Can anyone explain to me how I should do to

+ append to the previous content

+ make a new item on the clipboard

(I'm using the v5 beta)

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:13 pm

There's a known incompatibility with some third party applications causing ClipMerge to be falsely triggered although Command-C has been typed only once.

Which program are you using when the problem occurs?

We are currently aware of incompatibilities with BBEdit and TextWrangler and (under some circumstances) TextMate.
Last edited by norbert on Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jem

Post by jem » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:49 pm

norbert wrote:We are currently aware of incompatibilities with BBEdit and TextWrangler and (under some circumstances) TextMate.

I first noticed it in BBEdit but also in Mailsmith (no surprise)

bigcloits
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bigcloits » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:37 pm

norbert wrote:We are currently aware of incompatibilities with BBEdit

I just ran afoul of it in BBEdit just as I was getting rolling (and getting excited) to experiment with the features. I live in BBEdit, so I’m sure looking forward to that particular fix! :wink:

bigcloits
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bigcloits » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:44 pm

Just in case you weren’t aware of it, the BBEdit incompatibility appears to include a problem with “Paste and remove from history shortcut repeatedly,” as well as the ClipMerge issue.

gburch

Entourage

Post by gburch » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:55 pm

Entourage has this behavior as well.

-Greg

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Entourage

Post by Dennis » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:42 am

gburch wrote:Entourage has this behavior as well.

All Carbon applications. Hmm, is this a pattern we're seeing?

-Dennis

jpcirrus

Post by jpcirrus » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:49 am

No - because it is happening in TextMate (regularly for me) and I have sometimes had it happening in Safari as well.

jem

Post by jem » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:53 am

Also, I'm not 100% sure about this but I think I managed to get to happen in Script Editor as well.

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dennis » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:22 pm

Yeah, the fact that it also happens in TextMate didn't occur to me until after I posted. Sounds like it's definitely not restricted to just Carbon apps.

-Dennis

Qriz

Re: Newbie question - copy/copy append - ClipMerge

Post by Qriz » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:32 pm

Hi, I have the same issue, when I shift-select some text and then hit cmd+c – but only, if the time between selecting and copying is pretty short (less than a second). I can reproduce this behavior in every single application.

I have the latest version of LB running (5.0.2) with Snow Leopard (10.6.2) on an Intel iMac and an Intel MacBook Pro.

Anyone seeing this problem? Maybe it's just some other piece of software?

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:50 pm

Qriz wrote:Hi, I have the same issue, when I shift-select some text and then hit cmd+c – but only, if the time between selecting and copying is pretty short (less than a second). I can reproduce this behavior in every single application.

Well, that's actually an unintended side effect (a.k.a. bug :wink:) of another feature. You can also trigger ClipMerge with the mouse, when you choose a Copy command from a contextual menu (e.g. the Copy Link command in Safari) while holding down the Shift-key.

Thanks for pointing this out. I've filed a bug.

dvessel

Post by dvessel » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:45 am

norbert wrote:
Qriz wrote:Hi, I have the same issue, when I shift-select some text and then hit cmd+c – but only, if the time between selecting and copying is pretty short (less than a second). I can reproduce this behavior in every single application.

Well, that's actually an unintended side effect (a.k.a. bug :wink:) of another feature. You can also trigger ClipMerge with the mouse, when you choose a Copy command from a contextual menu (e.g. the Copy Link command in Safari) while holding down the Shift-key.

Thanks for pointing this out. I've filed a bug.

Hello, I recently sent a bug report for this exact behavior. Is this going to be fixed? Makes the feature almost unusable since I often shift extend selections triggering ClipMerge.