'Select in Clipboard' function in Clipboard History?

General discussions about LaunchBar
Jono
Rank 4
Rank 4

'Select in Clipboard' function in Clipboard History?

Post by Jono » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:10 am

With LaunchBar 5 & the Clipboard History is it possible to select a clipboard item & bring this into LaunchBar? (as the selected item).

I tried bringing up the Clipboard History, selecting a clipboard item & hitting ⌘⇧V but this doesn't work as expected.

Under Clipboard Preferences I have the action set to 'Copy & Paste'.
If I understand it correctly if I had the action set to 'Copy' then this would do what I'm asking? But I'm wanting to bring items from the Clipboard History to LaunchBar's selected item with 'Copy & Paste' as the action set in Preferences.

Also in LaunchBar's help manual there appears to be a typo.
Under Selecting Items > Text Items it says the keyboard shortcut for 'Select from Clipboard' is ⌘⌥V

But after trying it repeatedly (thinking I was stupid & making a mistake :p ) I found it's actually ⌘⇧V

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:12 pm

Well, you can always just copy the item ( ⌘C ) and paste it with ⌘⇧V into LaunchBar.

Now that's a workaround. What should be possible IMHO is to press tab or some equivalent to use it directly in LaunchBar. Note that at the moment you can't use tab to instant-send the items in the clipboard history. However, if you have a multiple-line item in the history and you use the right-arrow key to explore the individual lines, you can instant send those lines with the tab key.

So while I don't know what would be the best thing to do here, it's clearly not consistent behaviour yet. I think the tab key should be enabled for all clipboard history items.

PS: Your observation on using ⌘⇧V is correct :)

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:26 pm

Jono wrote:Under Selecting Items > Text Items it says the keyboard shortcut for 'Select from Clipboard' is ⌘⌥V. But after trying it repeatedly [...] I found it's actually ⌘⇧V

This is indeed a typo in the documentation. Thanks for pointing this out.

Jono wrote:With LaunchBar 5 & the Clipboard History is it possible to select a clipboard item & bring this into LaunchBar? (as the selected item).

When you select an item in the Clipboard History, this IS the selected LaunchBar item. The main difference compared to items that have been selected by other means is, that pressing Return won't open the item, but perform the action specified in Preferences > Clipboard (either Copy or Copy and Paste).

But you are right, to convert a clipboard history item into a "regular" item, you can use ⌘C and ⌘⇧V.

ludwigschubert wrote:I think the tab key should be enabled for all clipboard history items.

This is not yet implemented in the beta, but planned for the final version.

Jono
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jono » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:54 am

Tabbing Clipboard History items to make them the selected item in LaunchBar sounds like an excellent solution, I'll look forward to it. (& I'll use ⌘C and ⌘⇧V until it's enabled :) )