Quirk with launching applications LB 5 beta 1

General discussions about LaunchBar
Greg Jones
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Greg Jones » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:04 am

Moving LB out and back in the Applications folder seems to have fixed the issue for me as well. I'm glad a solution was found as this behavior was driving me nuts! Thanks!

Greg Jones
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Greg Jones » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:00 pm

Well, the odd behavior is back today so moving LB in/out of the Applications folder did not stick.

ape
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ape » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:42 pm

Yep, seeing the same kind of strangeness again...

Stormchild

Post by Stormchild » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:12 am

I tried moving LaunchBar out of the Applications folder, and back in again. It no longer appears briefly in the Dock when I launch it, but I'm still having the same problem with apps not coming to the foreground when launched (either directly, or by opening a document that causes the app to open).

The problem is not fixed in 5.0b2.

I just noticed something else though. If I launch an app by pressing return after typing in the abbreviation, it does not come to the front. However, if I launch an app with the "hold the last key down" trick that was added in one of the 4.x updates, the app becomes active as expected. I wonder why this works, and pressing return doesn't?

Anyway, as I suspected, the problem goes away if you turn off Dock hiding and let it behave as a normal app. So that's a decent workaround for now, if you don't mind another icon in your Dock.

Turning off Dock hiding also solves another issue I discovered today: When you invoke full screen mode for Cover Flow (and the Dock icon is hidden), the menubar doesn't disappear.

I'm pretty sure this happens because Cover Flow is a "HUD"-type window -- i.e. a panel that's only visible when the application it belongs to is active. Cover Flow is available to any app, and its window "belongs" to the app that launched it. In this case it belongs to an app that doesn't have a menubar -- so instead you see the menubar of whatever app was active before you invoked LaunchBar. When Cover Flow tries to hide LaunchBar's menubar, it doesn't have one, so the previous app's menubar remains active overtop of Cover Flow.

Anyway, if you don't turn off LaunchBar's Dock icon, full screen Cover Flow correctly hides the menubar. I suspect there's nothing Obdev can do about that one, so I think the LaunchBar icon will be staying in my Dock.

Greg Jones
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Greg Jones » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:18 pm

Stormchild wrote:I just noticed something else though. If I launch an app by pressing return after typing in the abbreviation, it does not come to the front. However, if I launch an app with the "hold the last key down" trick that was added in one of the 4.x updates, the app becomes active as expected. I wonder why this works, and pressing return doesn't?

I believe you are on to something here. I've played with this after reading your post and I'm seeing the same thing. As I normally switch around from holding the last key down or hitting return, that would explain why I didn't notice a pattern in this behavior before. Holding the last key down does seem to always bring the application to the front.

Stormchild wrote:Turning off Dock hiding also solves another issue I discovered today: When you invoke full screen mode for Cover Flow (and the Dock icon is hidden), the menubar doesn't disappear.

Now I'm not seeing this at all. Using Cover Flow fullscreen always hides the LaunchBar menu for me. The menu is not dismissed-it's still there when I return from fullscreen mode, but it is not at all visible when in fullscreen mode.

beejay
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by beejay » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:28 am

I've had a few instances of this - launching an app which is locked to a Space will usually top it, and causes Spaces to switch to the space it's in. Sometimes with LB5 it doesn't switch to the app (because it hasn't ben topped).

It seems fairly random though, and quite infrequent here...

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:46 am

The issue with applications not becoming active when launched via LaunchBar has now been fixed in beta 3. It only occurred when running LaunchBar without a Dock icon.

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:56 am

Stormchild wrote:Turning off Dock hiding also solves another issue I discovered today: When you invoke full screen mode for Cover Flow (and the Dock icon is hidden), the menubar doesn't disappear.

I'm pretty sure this happens because Cover Flow is a "HUD"-type window -- i.e. a panel that's only visible when the application it belongs to is active. Cover Flow is available to any app, and its window "belongs" to the app that launched it. In this case it belongs to an app that doesn't have a menubar -- so instead you see the menubar of whatever app was active before you invoked LaunchBar. When Cover Flow tries to hide LaunchBar's menubar, it doesn't have one, so the previous app's menubar remains active overtop of Cover Flow.

Anyway, if you don't turn off LaunchBar's Dock icon, full screen Cover Flow correctly hides the menubar. I suspect there's nothing Obdev can do about that one, so I think the LaunchBar icon will be staying in my Dock.

You probably mean Quick Look, not Cover Flow, do you?

And you are right, the Quick Look panel belongs to the app that opened it, and if we switch to full screen, Quick Look attempts to hide LaunchBar's menu bar, but it can't, because LaunchBar doesn't have a menu bar when it runs without a Dock icon. There's in fact nothing we can do about this, it's impossible for an application to hide another application's menu bar.

Greg Jones
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Greg Jones » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:22 am

norbert wrote:The issue with applications not becoming active when launched via LaunchBar has now been fixed in beta 3. It only occurred when running LaunchBar without a Dock icon.

Thank you! I've always run LB without the Dock icon, and this bug was very frustrating-glad to have it fixed.

Mr Fold

Post by Mr Fold » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:55 pm

I'm using LaunchBar beta 3 on 10.5.6 and I'm still experiencing applications not becoming active when launched via LaunchBar. This only occurs when both options are active:

x Hide other applications when opening an item

x Hide Dock item

but this is my preferred environment for running LaunchBar. Hope this information helps in tracking down the cause. Cheers.

account.transaction

Post by account.transaction » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:34 pm

I am experiencing the same issue. When an application is launched via LaunchBar, it is not always made active. The behavior seems sporadic, as sometimes the launched application is made active, and other times not.

Mac OS X 10.5.6
LaunchBar Version 5.0 beta 5 (632)

Checked preferences:

x Hide Dock Icon

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:29 pm

Mr Fold wrote:I'm still experiencing applications not becoming active when launched via LaunchBar. This only occurs when both options are active:

x Hide Dock item

Yes, the combination of these two features can still cause this problem when opening an application that's not yet running.

The reason for this is: When we hide all visible applications while a program that has no menu bar itself is currently active (LaunchBar without a Dock icon has no menu bar), the OS activates some other application, since there must be at least one active application that has a menu bar.

But if another application becomes active before our newly launched application completed to launch, the launched application isn't activated, but the other application, which was activated before, remains active.

However, you should be able to work around this problem by turning on the "Nonactivating Mode" in LaunchBar Preferences > General.