LaunchBar Help in PDF format

General discussions about LaunchBar
indro

LaunchBar Help in PDF format

Post by indro » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:37 pm

Is there any way to get the help file in pdf format?

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:46 pm

This question has been discussed previously:

http://forums.obdev.at/viewtopic.php?t= ... t=pdf+help
http://forums.obdev.at/viewtopic.php?t= ... t=pdf+help

However, maybe with the new version Objective Development has created a PDF help file – it does not seem likely, however.

On a personal question, can you tell me what you'd want the PDF for?

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:34 am

I wouldn't mind any format of the LB help that's viewable offline with AirSharing on my iPod touch.

Edit: Thanks for the reminder that the help is HTML in a self-contained folder hierarchy, which I've copied to and can easily browse offline on my iPod.
Last edited by sjk on Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

rolian

Post by rolian » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:49 am

I have put the LaunchBar 5 help file into pdf format (all links are live). I am happy to post it if it doesn't violate any copyright or rule of the developer and someone tells me a free place to post it.
If someone with Acrobat wishes to do what I did, simply copy the help folder in the app contents (reached as described in the tip above) to your desktop. Then open up Acrobat and create PDF from web page, using the index.html file as the source url - make sure you allow acrobat to scour the entire site, and you'll be set. The resulting file is 135 pages.

indro

Post by indro » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:09 am

ludwigschubert wrote:This question has been discussed previously:

I find Apple help files cumbersome. I can keep the pdf file open in Skim or Preview and read sections of it in small chunks. Lets me really learn a program. I have been using LaunchBar for a few years now and I still find new things I can do with it. Helps the learning process for me.

indro

indro

Post by indro » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:20 am

rolian wrote:I have put the LaunchBar 5 help file into pdf format (all links are live). I am happy to post it if it doesn't violate any copyright or rule of the developer and someone tells me a free place to post it.
If someone with Acrobat wishes to do what I did, simply copy the help folder in the app contents (reached as described in the tip above) to your desktop. Then open up Acrobat and create PDF from web page, using the index.html file as the source url - make sure you allow acrobat to scour the entire site, and you'll be set. The resulting file is 135 pages.

Hmmm.... Seems like a great idea... I am going to try it and let you know how it turned out.
I am not sure about the copyright implications of sharing this either.

Thanks.

indro

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:09 pm

In the threads I mentioned above Objective Development said they wanted to do it themselves but didn't know how.
So if you contact them, I'm pretty sure they'll let you post it everywhere you like or even publish it on their own site.

rolian

Post by rolian » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:33 am

Good suggestion - I sent the pdf file to the developers and told them to post it or use it as they deemed fit.

Dave Emme

Post by Dave Emme » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:59 pm

indro wrote:
ludwigschubert wrote:This question has been discussed previously:

I find Apple help files cumbersome. I can keep the pdf file open in Skim or Preview and read sections of it in small chunks. Lets me really learn a program. I have been using LaunchBar for a few years now and I still find new things I can do with it. Helps the learning process for me.

indro

I agree that a PDF-format would be very useful. Help is good as a reference but not as a learning tool; for that the ability to read a document from front to back is more useful, at least for me. It also gives me searching capabilities on anything & everything in the PDF.

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:23 pm

Dave Emme wrote:Help is good as a reference but not as a learning tool; for that the ability to read a document from front to back is more useful, at least for me.

At least when getting familiar with an app's documentation I definitely prefer the top-to-bottom, birds-eye view a PDF or other "single-page" format offers over having to navigate across multiple pages and possibly overlook something. But LaunchBar's help navigation is pretty smooth compared to, uhh, DEVONthink's. :)

Achiever

Post by Achiever » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:19 pm

All,

I love the idea of having a PDF version which I can print out, but I cannot figure out how to save it as an HTML or convert it. Can someone try to explain the hows of it with some detail or, if you have it saved as a PDF, would someone be willing to email me a copy o the PDF??

Many, many thanks.

rolian

Post by rolian » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:43 am

send an email address to achiever-at-hpolian-dot-com and I'll help you out

Achiever

Post by Achiever » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:46 pm

rolian wrote:send an email address to achiever-at-hpolian-dot-com and I'll help you out

Received. Many thanks rolian!!