iTunes playing - pls stop making LaunchBar playlist

General discussions about LaunchBar
mattn
Rank 1
Rank 1

iTunes playing - pls stop making LaunchBar playlist

Post by mattn » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:14 am

I don't understand why LaunchBar must make a LaunchBar playlist in order to play a song. I don't want my playlists messed with, and besides, the LaunchBar playlist is in an undesirable order. I have chosen to have songs "Play From Album", and my songs are all in albums, but LaunchBar does not seem to obey. The LaunchBar playlist does not mimic the track order of the album. Actually what I really would like is the ability to play directly from the first existing playlist containing the song; all my songs are in just one playlist.

veke
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by veke » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:29 am

Check your settings, you should check the Actions , Play Songs and choose "Play from Music Library". That plays them from the library instead of creating a playlist. Playing albums from ANY application / launcher always creates a playlist as there is now way to tell iTunes to play an ALBUM from the library, a playslist with the choosen album has to be created and played. It plays the songs in the correct order if there are tracknumbers set. I have tracknumbers set for all my albums and they are always played in the correct order.

mattn
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mattn » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:08 am

veke wrote:Check your settings, you should check the Actions , Play Songs and choose "Play from Music Library". That plays them from the library instead of creating a playlist. Playing albums from ANY application / launcher always creates a playlist as there is now way to tell iTunes to play an ALBUM from the library, a playslist with the choosen album has to be created and played. It plays the songs in the correct order if there are tracknumbers set. I have tracknumbers set for all my albums and they are always played in the correct order.

Well, I have track numbers set for all my albums, and I'm telling you that they are NOT always played in the correct order - that is, the artificial album playlist created as the LaunchBar album does not necessarily get the order right (it tends to put the requested song first, regardless).

It sounds to me like the real answer here is that playing from album is not really a very good feature and should be withdrawn.

And please don't tell me to "Play from Music Library". That is just what I do not want to do, since the next song will bear no relation to the one I picked.

Recall that I said "Actually what I really would like is the ability to play directly from the first existing playlist containing the song". That is something that you *can* tell iTunes to do. (I have written a script that does it.) In other words, I choose a song, and LaunchBar should work out what playlists it is a part of, pick a reasonable playlist containing it (or even allow me to specify that as part of the LaunchBar interface), make that the current playlist, and play the song. This has the advantage that is leaves my playlists untouched and actually relies on my existing playlists to be in the right order, which they are.