Feature Request: Keyboard shortcuts per index item

General discussions about LaunchBar
Kicweed
Rank 1
Rank 1

Feature Request: Keyboard shortcuts per index item

Post by Kicweed » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:45 am

(This is the only missing feature that keeps me from buying a license for Launchbar)

I would like to be able to assign keyboard shortcuts to individual index entries. For example, I would like to assign a shortcut to directly invoke the "iTunes Play/Pause" script. That way I could control iTunes, through Launchbar, without having to hunt each time the specific script.

The same could be used for other items:

1. A shortcut to go directly to the Google search template; press the shortcut, enter the search string and press enter to go directly to the results page.
2. A shortcut to access directly a file/folder
3. A shortcut to invoke Launchbar directly focused inside a Category

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:52 pm

Hm.
So basically you want _one_ shortcut instead of _two_, right?
Like the Quicksilver "Triggers".
You can assign an abbreviation to any index item.
So to pause iTunes, I activate LaunchBar, then press and hold "p".

I guess that's the whole idea of LaunchBar, so if you need shortcuts only there are applications built around shortcuts only :)

For example there's Spark, but I don't use it myself, so I can't tell you whether it's good or not.

Maybe someday Objective Development will implement Triggers like Quicksilver does. I wouldn't count on it, though :?

Regards,
Ludwig

PS: You can submit an official feature request to Objective Development here.

Kicweed
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kicweed » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:03 pm

I have to admit that I had Quicksilver's trigger feature in mind :-)

I did not know the trick about holding the last character to invoke the selection, that's very handy. This is almost as good as having QS' triggers, I'll need to experiment with it. It sounds very promising though, thanks a lot :-)

I know that there a lot of controllers for iTunes out there. I'm trying to find a tool that does as much as possible for me, I don't like having lots of small things running if I can consolidate some of them in one.

On something different now. Since you look very knowledgeable regarding OD and Launchbar, do you happen to know if LB is under active development? I've seen elsewhere comments that it's been a while since the last official update. I'd hate to buy a license only to find out in a month or two that no-one is working on it any more.

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:28 pm

More on LaunchBar's development here.

Doesn't look too good, though :?

veke
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by veke » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:07 pm

I can't say I know anything about the matter, but I would be very surprised if development has stopped. Why on EARTH would it be? I imagine there is a bug-fix release coming out for LB 4 (see nightlies) and there is a LB 5 being developed with features Norberts has hinted about in the forums. It's better if it's done right, than being released just for the sake of it. I've seen comments on iCal-integration, search templates sharing, clipboard integration etc. I imagine those area features that require some working on. Still, there could be some kind of official word about the state of it, that I agree on.

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:54 am

veke wrote: I imagine those area features that require some working on.

Problem IMHO is that some of them have been "worked on" for 1.5 years and longer. I guess it would be unfair not to mention that when Kicweed specifically asked about active development.
But I also think that LaunchBar is way more than worth it's money, even if there were no future updates whatsoever 8)

chmurph2

Post by chmurph2 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:46 am

(This is the only missing feature that keeps me from buying a license for Launchbar)

+1 for this sentiment. Since development has ceased on Quicksilver, I'd switch from Quicksilver to LaunchBar only if it supported triggers similarly to how QS does. Here is a use case to make it clear why triggers are so important:

Go to the "Next Song "in LaunchBar, without trigger:

1. Bring up LaunchBar.
2. Start to type "Next Song," e.g. "Nex"
3. Hit return.
(Repeat step 1 if I want the "next song" again)

Go to the Next song in LaunchBar, with trigger:

1. Hit the trigger (e.g. control-option-command ])
2. There is no step 2.

The LaunchBar "It's so easy" slogan just took on a whole new meaning with triggers.

This is incredibly powerful, and once you get used to triggers you start to assign them to everything. And it makes sense for an application like LaunchBar to support triggers; triggers fit the paradigm. I do not want to install a separate app just for triggers as ludwigschubert suggested. Triggers FTW!

George the Flea
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by George the Flea » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:23 am

I also would love to see this feature implemented. Invoking LaunchBar and holding the abbreviation is cool, but far less useful (and a lot slower) than just having a system-wide shortcut for my favorite actions.

Wouldn't even need to add much in the way of interface; just let me attach shortcuts to items in the index, and there you have it.