Are new default search templates merged with my own?

General discussions about LaunchBar
Jaharmi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Are new default search templates merged with my own?

Post by Jaharmi » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:50 pm

I’m unclear as to whether new search templates that come with each update to LaunchBar are automatically merged together with my own.

For example, I had to create a search template for the new 4.2 beta 2 Large Text function. Although it was supposed to be a default search template, I didn’t find it under any of my Search Templates headings (normal and UTF-8) in the LB configuration.

This seems to be true for past search templates I’ve heard about, as well … I’ve ended up having to add them myself when I heard about them.

I’m hoping to get an explanation of how updated search templates work within the application, versus those that the user adds him/herself. Is there a way to ensure that we get all the latest search templates that come with new versions of LB? And do the updates to the product or search templates have any effect on our own user-specific or -added search templates?

Thanks!

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:18 pm

Right now updates in the factory configuration are not merged with your own templates. But as mentioned elsewhere, we are working on a much improved handling of search templates that will address this issue as well.

In the meantime I suggest the following approach:

Keep the factory search templates and your custom templates in separate indexing rules. You can then safely replace all factory rules with their latest versions using New > Search Templates > Factory Search Templates (...), without affecting your own custom templates.