image previews

General discussions about LaunchBar
macsterdam
Rank 2
Rank 2

image previews

Post by macsterdam » Wed May 21, 2008 1:53 pm

I know it's been asked before, but that a while back already, so I thought I'd bring it up again.

The one (and probably only) thing I miss is image-previews. With regards to how this should be implemented, I feel the way Clawmenu does it would suit Launchbar really well. For those not familiar with Clawmenu, here's a screenshot and a link to a short movie I made of how previews work in Clawmenu;

link to video

Jono
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jono » Thu May 22, 2008 9:59 am

Yea, this is something I'm really missing having switched from Quicksilver.
I work with a lot of images & it would be very useful is something like this was implemented :D

adman635

Post by adman635 » Sun May 25, 2008 3:07 am

Incorporating quickview would be ideal...

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dennis » Tue May 27, 2008 8:38 pm

adman635 wrote:Incorporating quickview would be ideal...

I assume you mean Quick Look? :wink:

Unfortunately, Apple doesn't currently provide third-party support for Quick Look, although there are apparently ways to hack it.

You could also use a simple script to invoke the command line qlmanage executable, but it has a few limitations (e.g. it's slightly slower than when used from the Finder). There are some details here, including a couple variations of an AppleScript that can be invoked from LaunchBar:

http://forums.obdev.at/viewtopic.php?t=874

But I think some kind of image preview would be a great addition to LaunchBar, whether it be with Quick Look or by some other means. It's a feature I've long envied in Quicksilver, but was never enough to actually make me consider switching to that app.

Jono
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jono » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:33 pm

It's something that's almost made me switch back to Quicksilver a few times in the past.

macsterdam
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by macsterdam » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:45 am

Just recently I gave Quicksilver another go. The image previews are indeed very handy. Other than that, Launchbar blows it out of the water. So, here's hoping that previews will be added soon, preferably with some cool core-animation effects :wink: