Family License(s) - Legal Question

General discussions about LaunchBar
compulsiveguile

Family License(s) - Legal Question

Post by compulsiveguile » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:19 pm

Hey, I was looking into buying LaunchBar, and I had a question regarding the "Family" license option. That's an excellent deal, and when I saw it, I figured, hey, why not spend some extra cash and give my friends a software gift?

I then saw that it had to be "in the same household." I know that there wouldn't really be a way for Objective Development to know whether or not I gave the licenses out in my own household or elsewhere; I'm just trying to be ethical. I might as well pirate it if I'm going to do wrong, right?

So what's the deal? I don't think I'm trying to justify the issue, but this is how I look at it. My friends would never have looked into buying this software, so if nothing else, I'm advertising for ObDev while also giving them my business. So what if I'm going to be living with my cousin next year? Can I give him a license since he will be in my "household"? Or is that wrong because he's not part of my current "household." How about my college dorm? Can I give anyone in my dorm a license? Heck, we're all on the same server/network, right?

I know some of you may view my concern as somewhat ridiculous, but these "legal license limitations" just really irk me sometimes. I swear the software industry encourages us to pirate sometimes...

Hmm... if I can't "legally" buy multiple licenses at a discount, I'd be inclined to decline the purchase. $20 is kind of steep for a single license... for a college student.

Any response would be greatly appreciated (especially from the Directorate). Thanks for the help!
Last edited by compulsiveguile on Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F451
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Family License(s) - Legal Question

Post by F451 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:09 pm

compulsiveguile wrote:Hmm... if I can't "legally" by multiple licenses at a discount, I'd be inclined to decline the purchase. $20 is kind of steep for a single license... for a college student.

Perhaps you should wait until you graduate from college to afford LaunchBar?

compulsiveguile

Re: Family License(s) - Legal Question

Post by compulsiveguile » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:27 pm

F451 wrote:
compulsiveguile wrote:Hmm... if I can't "legally" buy multiple licenses at a discount, I'd be inclined to decline the purchase. $20 is kind of steep for a single license... for a college student.

Perhaps you should wait until you graduate from college to afford LaunchBar?

That's... a little brunt. You could have perhaps phrased that a little more tactfully? I understand what you're saying, yet I'm curious of the legal matters regarding giving licenses to somebody outside my household.

F451
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by F451 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:15 am

Greg,

Your entire premise is pretzel logic. You are essentially stating that you wish to buffer the cost with your colleagues circumventing what others, like me, have paid to earn the privilege of licensing. I was taught that if I did not have the money for something that I was to earn it, and do without until said time. I acquired my undergraduate, and graduate degrees at great sacrifice. I sat in the classroom chairs; I took the tests; I graduated; I paid the tuition bills.

Now, if Objective Development has college pricing, or a partner/affiliate program, that's a different matter. I can only imagine when you are working a your first after college job...I bet you will not be willing to take less than prevailing wages for your work. If you think I'm blunt you are in for a real-world shocker as you grow older.

compulsiveguile

Post by compulsiveguile » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:41 am

Alright, I will admit that my reasoning for posting was more out of hope than anything else. However, I am a little put off by the "tone" you address me with.
F451 wrote:If you think I'm blunt you are in for a real-world shocker as you grow older.

Yes, I understand that I am a mere college student with much to learn, yet I don't feel it's necessary to make such comments. I feel like you're insulting my intelligence. Call me fragile or whatever you'd like. Those sorts of phrases are all very... cliche.

However, I do appreciate you explaining your interpretation of my logic. While I'm not sure you completely understand my reasoning (as I don't feel I'm trying to "buffer costs with my colleagues"), I understand the point you're making. Programmers deserve to be paid for the quality of their work.

F451
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by F451 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:01 am

Greg,

Since this is the internet is it is hard to actually convey how I represent matters other than the printed word. In all sincerity consider yourself fortunate to be able to attend college...your life will be much better for it. I would simply write the developer offline and present your college status to them and see what happens. I have no doubt that the developer is probably a college graduate and fully understands your situation as that is one of the advantages of having a college degree. Many institutions are accommodating to college students, you just have to ask, and sometimes present proof. :)