Strange behavior with bookmark

General discussions about LaunchBar
Greg Jones
Rank 3
Rank 3

Strange behavior with bookmark

Post by Greg Jones » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:20 pm

I use OmniWeb as my browser and I have created a bookmark for a forum that, when selected from the bookmark menu, will take me to a list of all the new posts since my last visit. The tail end of the url looks like this:

~/forums/index.php?act=Search&CODE=getnew

When I launch the bookmark via LaunchBar, I am taken to the search page on the Web site instead. In fact, the url that appears in LaunchBar when I do a search is different as it always looks like this:

~/forums/index.php?act=Search&CODE=getnew

Now I don't have any other bookmarks for this forum and even when I change the name of the bookmark, when found with LaunchBar it always adds "amp;" in the middle of the url. Why is LaunchBar changing the url from what is stored in OmniWeb?

yanokwa

Post by yanokwa » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:34 am

The "&" character is not URL safe to use, so Launchbar probably converts it to make sure it always works. You can find out more here:
http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/ ... coding.htm

Basically, changing the & -> & should not change what webpage you get, so something else is going on. Try typing both URLs into Omniweb and see what happens..

Greg Jones
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Greg Jones » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:51 pm

Thanks for the info on the use of the ampersand in a url. Changing the & -> & does indeed change the webpage that I get. With the & url I get a generic search screen just like what you get when you click on the "Search" button in this forum. I can edit out the amp; part of the url, type return, and the Web page changes to the expected display of new topics.

I don't know it it matters, but the forum in question uses Invision Power Board v2.1.7 © 2006 IPS, Inc. Since I encountered this, I installed Quicksilver and it works as is expected. I also tried the above with Safari and the results were the same, so it's not an OmniWeb issue. Frankly, I surprised that LaunchBar modifies the url to conform to what it thinks is appropriate. I would prefer that LaunchBar act on the data that it has rather than take it upon itself to decide what is best for me.

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:39 pm

Greg Jones wrote:I surprised that LaunchBar modifies the url to conform to what it thinks is appropriate. I would prefer that LaunchBar act on the data that it has rather than take it upon itself to decide what is best for me.

LaunchBar does NOT modify the URL, and that's probably the cause of the problem. If you look at the contents of your OmniWeb bookmarks file you can see that it actually contains an & within the bookmarked URL.

We'll try to fix this in the next LaunchBar version.
Last edited by norbert on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greg Jones
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Greg Jones » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:37 pm

norbert wrote:LaunchBar does NOT modify the URL, and that's probably the cause of the problem. If you look at the contents of your OmniWeb bookmarks file you can see that it actually contains an & within the bookmarked URL.

We'll try to fix this in the next LaunchBar version.

I've looked at the contents of the bookmarks file. I've even opened it with Word to make sure that OmniWeb isn't somehow changing the URL when it is launched. The bookmark in question does not have an & within the URL. The bookmark works as expected when selected within OmniWeb. The URL works as expected when I tried launching it with Quicksilver. I guess I am confused at this point-if LaunchBar does not modify the URL, a) why does the URL only not work as expected when called from LaunchBar and b) how could this be fixed in the next version of LaunchBar if LaunchBar is only calling that which is contained in the OnmiWeb bookmark file?

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand what is happening. I've also posted a screenshot that shows the LaunchBar configuration screen and the OmniWeb bookmarks folder "Test" where this bookmark resides. Look for the URL titled "XXXX" and notice how the LaunchBar configuration screen has & in the URL while the actual bookmark does not.

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:58 pm

To see the actual contents of the bookmarks file you should open a Terminal window and type:

Code: Select all

cat ~/Library/Application\ Support/OmniWeb\ 5/Bookmarks.html

Checking the contents of this file with OmniWeb or with Word wont show you the actual contents of the HTML file, but the HTML decoded file contents (where all occurrences of & have already been replaced with &). And exactly this kind of HTML decoding is currently NOT performed by LaunchBar, therefore any & remains unchanged in the bookmark URLs.

Greg Jones
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Greg Jones » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:14 pm

I did run the Terminal command above and the output does indicate that the URL contains & as you say. I do hope that LaunchBar can overcome this issue in the future. Thanks for the help.