Recent Folders

General discussions about LaunchBar
Nick Sloan

Recent Folders

Post by Nick Sloan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:30 pm

This may be asking too much, but in view of how neat it is that LaunchBar can access recent items of Cocoa apps with abbreviation + right arrow, it would be wonderful if it was possible to bring up a list of recently opened Finder windows with Finder + right arrow.
The problem I anticipate (apart from Finder not being Cocoa) is that there are many different ways of opening Finder windows (LaunchBar, Butler/MaxMenus and Finder to name but three) and no obvious way of collating a comprehensive list…or is there?
Such a feature would be more frustrating than useful if it was not comprehensive, but as one who has cursed his way back through the same hierarchical menu more than once today to find a folder that was open a few minutes before, I would love to see such a feature if it was practical.

Jono
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Recent Folders

Post by Jono » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:05 pm

It's a good idea. Especially for me when I have different windows in different Spaces, it can be difficult to know what windows are open & where they are.

Nick Sloan wrote:The problem I anticipate (apart from Finder not being Cocoa)

Isn't Finder a Cocoa app (remade) in Leopard?

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:33 pm

In Finder you can use the "Go" > "Recent Folders" menu item to get your list.

I think it should be easy to get it into LaunchBar.

Was that what you were thinking of? Than file a feature request! :D

regards,
Ludwig

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Recent Folders

Post by Dennis » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:27 pm

Jono wrote:Isn't Finder a Cocoa app (remade) in Leopard?

No, Finder is a Carbon app, even in Leopard, along with iTunes, Final Cut Pro/Express, and probably several other of the pro apps. But that really shouldn't be a concern of the end user because it shouldn't matter to anyone except the developer.

The ability to access recently-opened apps is not limited to Cocoa apps (although they may provide the capability without extra work). For example, BBEdit is Carbon and its recently opened files can be accessed via LaunchBar. I use it all the time and it works great.

Jono
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jono » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:45 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Dennis :)

Nick Sloan

Post by Nick Sloan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:50 pm

ludwigschubert wrote:In Finder you can use the "Go" > "Recent Folders" menu item to get your list.

Thanks very much Ludwig, I had never noticed that before because I had been looking for it in the wrong place. And yes, I will file a request.

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:42 am

ludwigschubert wrote:In Finder you can use the "Go" > "Recent Folders" menu item to get your list.

I think it should be easy to get it into LaunchBar.

We've already implemented this feature a while ago, but it turned out that Finder writes its "Recent Folders" info to disk only when you log out, so we can't get the most recent info from Finder, but only the info written at the the last log out. And there's no API for asking Finder directly for its list of recent folders. This made this feature quite useless, so we've abandoned it.

Jono
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jono » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:51 am

What about right arrowing into Finder shows the currently open windows?
As I said before when I have different windows in different Spaces, it can be difficult to know what windows are open & where they are.

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:12 am

Jono wrote:What about right arrowing into Finder shows the currently open windows?

That should be possible. I've filed a feature request.

Nick Sloan

Post by Nick Sloan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:17 am

norbert wrote:We've already implemented this feature a while ago, but it turned out that Finder writes its "Recent Folders" info to disk only when you log out, so we can't get the most recent info from Finder, but only the info written at the the last log out. And there's no API for asking Finder directly for its list of recent folders. This made this feature quite useless, so we've abandoned it.

Thanks Norbert. It certainly makes sense to abandon a feature that is so crippled, but is there really no other way to intercept the information? If LaunchBar does have access to currently open windows, does it not follow that it could maintain its own list of recent folders?

I'd hate to see a second-best option to support open windows effectively block the possibility of supporting recent windows. Although since one is a subset of the other, perhaps the support could simply be extended if an when it becomes possible.

Jono
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jono » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:19 am

Thanks a lot norbert :)

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:40 am

Nick Sloan wrote:If LaunchBar does have access to currently open windows, does it not follow that it could maintain its own list of recent folders?

This would require to poll the list of open Finder windows continuously (e.g. once per second), but that's not a recommendable practice.

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:47 pm

norbert wrote:
Jono wrote:What about right arrowing into Finder shows the currently open windows?

That should be possible. I've filed a feature request.

The latest nightly build already includes this feature. It can be downloaded from http://www.obdev.at/launchbar/nightly.html

Jono
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jono » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:57 pm

This is a great feature, thanks a lot! :)