Quit apps from LaunchBar

General discussions about LaunchBar
Jono
Rank 4
Rank 4

Quit apps from LaunchBar

Post by Jono » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:33 pm

I think it would be really handy if when you brought up an application in the LaunchBar window you could hit Command-Q to quit that app.

I realise you can do this from the app switcher menu (Command-Space-Space). But I can’t really use that as holding CTRL down & arrowing switches Spaces for me (as they’re the default keys in Spaces). Or holding down the CTRL key, hitting Space to move through the apps then hitting Command-Q is really awkward.

Or is there already an alternative was to do it?

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dennis » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:21 am

LaunchBar has a built-in "Quit Application" script. Just bring up the app you want with Command-Space-Space, hit tab and type "Q" and return.

LaunchBar may require some training to associate "Q" with the "Quit Application" script. Mine was bringing up QuickTime Player by default.

Another option is to just use OS X's built-in app switcher to quit apps: hit Command-Tab to cycle through running apps, hit Command-Q to quit the selected app (I like to just continue pressing the Command key, hit tab one or more times, then "Q").

Jono
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jono » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:43 am

I do use the Command-Tab way sometimes, but would like to do as much as I can in LaunchBar.

The script is just the thing for me, thanks for pointing that out :)

[EDIT]
Here's another instance of where showing custom icons would be good.
Then I'd set custom icons for the Quit, Shutdown, Restart etc. scripts.
[/EDIT]

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:07 pm

Dennis wrote:LaunchBar may require some training to associate "Q" with the "Quit Application" script.

You can use the "Assign Abbreviation" command for that purpose. Select the script using a somewhat longer abbreviation, then press Command-Option-A and enter the desired short abbreivation "Q".

Jono
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jono » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:17 pm

norbert wrote:You can use the "Assign Abbreviation" command for that purpose. Select the script using a somewhat longer abbreviation, then press Command-Option-A and enter the desired short abbreivation "Q".

Thanks I did this to train it just use the letter Q.

After using this for a couple of days I'm really liking it. Type the (abbreviated) name of the app -> Tab -> Q is very quick & useful :)
It's actually easier (for me at least) than Command-Q.