search folder while file browsing

General discussions about LaunchBar
e2o

search folder while file browsing

Post by e2o » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:53 pm

hello,
I use file browsing all the time to get to certain folders. When I arrive at the folder, I want to quickly get to a specific document inside that folder, so I enter a few characters. In the past, only the current folder is scanned, and I could find the document quickly. Now, it seems, that the current folder and subfolders are scanned - which, for me, is too much. I only want the current folder scanned. Is this new by design in 4.3.4? Can I turn it off?
thanks...

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dennis » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:04 pm

Hmm, it seems to be working for me. To be clear, this is what I'm doing:

1) Activate LaunchBar and type "doc" to go to my Documents folder.

2) Using the right arrow key, navigate into my Documents folder and then down-arrow to a subfolder called "Work", and then right arrow again to enter the "Work" folder.

3) The "Work" folder contains several other folders and files. If I type a few characters, LaunchBar only finds items at the current directory level, not the items contained by subfolders inside my "Work" folder.

Isn't this the behavior you're asking for?

e2o

Post by e2o » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:54 pm

Yes, this is what I'm looking for. I have a bunch of client folders, and in the root of each folder is a document like: "Acme clientNotes.txt"

so i:

- activate LB and type "ac" and the Acme folder is selected
- I type spacebar to open the folder
- I then type "cli" which is usually enough to find clientNotes.txt
- hit return to open

BUT, now, if there is a "Notes" folder inside Acme, and inside that there is a document called "client research", that will get found by typing "cli" while in the parent folder - bummer.

Whoa! wait a second, I just realized that ALL documents within all nested folders are shown when file browsing. In the above example, if I:
- activate LB and type AC and the Acme folder is selected
- I type spacebar to open the folder
- I see all items inside Acme, I see the Notes folder and I see all items *inside* of notes as well. Wow, this is wack.

Oh, but if I use right arrow - it works as expected. It would truly be a drag if I had to browse with the arrow key - much harder to hit the arrow without taking fingers off the home row.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dennis » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:02 pm

Hmm, I don't know what the problem is. LaunchBar on my system works the same with both the arrow keys and the space bar when entering a subfolder (i.e. it displays and searches on only the items at the top level of the subfolder).

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:27 am

I get the following behaviour:

Right-arrow causes LaunchBar to browse the directory (showing only the current folder's contents) while pressing spacebar causes LaunchBar to launch a search in there, showing all the content.

e20's behaviour is expected here, I think. You'll have to use right-arrow (or Control-F or Control-L) to open the folder. Only use spacebar if you want to search it's entire contents.

Also I have another theory, maybe spacebar shows the content of LaunchBar's index for that folder? that could explain the seemingly different behaviour we see.

regards,
Ludwig

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dennis » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:52 am

ludwigschubert wrote:Also I have another theory, maybe spacebar shows the content of LaunchBar's index for that folder? that could explain the seemingly different behaviour we see.

That's an idea. In all my tests, I used a subfolder that *was not* indexed by LaunchBar. So when I use the right-arrow or the spacebar to enter the folder, I get only the top level items in both cases.

I take it that in your tests, you used a folder that LaunchBar had indexed?

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dennis » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:58 am

Aha, I think you figured it out, Ludwig. I just tested again on a folder that has been indexed and sure enough, I get the top level items if I use right arrow to enter the folder and the folder's entire index if I use spacebar to enter the folder.

Strangely, this difference in behavior doesn't seem to be documented, at least not that I could find in my brief look though the manual.

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:37 pm

I couldn't find it documented neither, that's why I called it a theory :D

L

Jono
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jono » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:26 pm

So right arrow to go into the folder, & Space to search the contents of that folder?
That's a good tip, thanks :)

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dennis » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:29 am

Jono wrote:So right arrow to go into the folder, & Space to search the contents of that folder?
That's a good tip, thanks :)

Actually, both will allow you to search the contents of the folder. The difference is this:

1) Hitting right arrow and then typing an abbreviation will only search among the top level items in the folder.

2) Hitting the Spacebar and then typing an abbreviation will do the same *unless* you have the contents of that folder indexed, in which case the entire index of that folder will be searched (e.g. all subfolders and their contents if you have the entire folder hierarchy indexed).

Jono
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jono » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:55 am

Actually that's what I meant, thanks :)

e2o

Post by e2o » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:34 am

Hey, thanks for the input! I thought it was going to be hard to live with, but I adjusted the folder depth for search, and my browse with spacebar works fine now. I would like to see an option to treat the spacebar like the right arrow for file browsing - the right arrow is a very inconvenient key when you are racing through a folder heierarchy...

- e

Nick Sloan

Post by Nick Sloan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:38 am

e2o wrote:the right arrow is a very inconvenient key when you are racing through a folder hierarchy...- e
Not for left-handers who hold the mouse in their left hand while using the right hand modifiers. This is one of those rare occasions on which it seems actually an advantage to be left-handed.

And for the record, I think that the distinction between what spacebar and right arrow produce in this context is a very useful one, and should be preserved, at least optionally.

Jono
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jono » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:37 pm

I agree with Nick.

Coming from Quicksilver arrowing right into folders, arrowing left out of them & searching only that folder's contents (not sub folders) makes perfect sense & feels natural to me.

So hitting spacebar to search all contents of that folder (if it's indexed) is a great extra feature.

e2o

Post by e2o » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:11 pm

I see the point on a distinction between searching and folder opening. I guess some key preferences would be great. For me, reaching for the right arrow is almost as bad as reaching for the mouse - the hand leaves the home row, and I have to look at the keyboard (on my MacBook). The whole point of Launchbar for me is to *not* move my hands, and to do everything at the speed of typing. If I could assign a shortcut - like command+J to open folder, I would be very happy... Has anyone tried a shortcut key app with launchbar?