Coming from Quicksilver - A few questions :)

General discussions about LaunchBar
Jono
Rank 4
Rank 4

Coming from Quicksilver - A few questions :)

Post by Jono » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:04 pm

I'm giving LaunchBar a try after having been a long time Quicksilver user, & have a few questions.
(Sorry if they've been asked before, I've searched the forum before asking).

Is there a way I can select more options to change the hotkey to activate LaunchBar? (To something like Command-Option or F1?)

Is it possible to omit some Safari bookmarks? (Specifically a folder of bookmarks within Safari's bookmarks).

Is there a way I can cancel activating LaunchBar using the same key as I activate it with?
What I mean is at the moment I hit Control-Space to activate it, then the Escape key to cancel it.
Is there a way I can press Control-Space to activate it, then Control-Space to cancel it?

Some of the folders on my system have custom icons. Is there a way I can get the custom icons to display in LaunchBar?

The colour labels displayed in LaunchBar aren’t the same as those in OS X.
For example the green label in LaunchBar isn’t the same green colour used in OS X, the blue colour label in LaunchBar isn’t the same blue colour used in OS X etc.
Is there a way I can change the colour values of the labels in LaunchBar?

I’m not loving the LaunchBar dock icon (sorry :) ). Is there anywhere I could download some alternatives?

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Coming from Quicksilver - A few questions :)

Post by ludwigschubert » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:19 pm

Hi Jono!
I tried to answer your questions briefly and point you to some threads that discuss the topic in more depth. :-)

Jono wrote:Is there a way I can select more options to change the hotkey to activate LaunchBar? (To something like Command-Option or F1?)

Objective Development promised there will be QuickSilver-like invoking via
"a short tap on a modifier key such as Command or Control" in the 4.4 update.
Maybe more otions will be included, but for now you're limited to the 7 given choices.
Another thread on this topic.

Jono wrote:Is it possible to omit some Safari bookmarks? (Specifically a folder of bookmarks within Safari's bookmarks).

When you go to the Configuration (command+y) you can uncheck single bookmarks under the "[Browser] Bookmarks" rule. I don't think there's a way of disabling a single folder at the moment

Jono wrote:Is there a way I can cancel activating LaunchBar using the same key as I activate it with?
What I mean is at the moment I hit Control-Space to activate it, then the Escape key to cancel it.
Is there a way I can press Control-Space to activate it, then Control-Space to cancel it?

None that I know of. But although it might be a pain to get used to it I actually found it to be very useful: You never have to think about LaunchBar already being open or in any kind of 'state' at the moment: you hit your key combination and your ready to use LaunchBar. But that's just my humble opinion. :-)

Jono wrote:Some of the folders on my system have custom icons. Is there a way I can get the custom icons to display in LaunchBar?

No.

But you can go into LaunchBar's package and alter the standard icon. At the moment it's not supported for performance reasons, I think.

Jono wrote:The colour labels displayed in LaunchBar aren’t the same as those in OS X.
For example the green label in LaunchBar isn’t the same green colour used in OS X, the blue colour label in LaunchBar isn’t the same blue colour used in OS X etc.
Is there a way I can change the colour values of the labels in LaunchBar?

I'm positive there isn't a way to do it officially. You can file a feature request for it here, however.

Jono wrote:I’m not loving the LaunchBar dock icon (sorry :) ). Is there anywhere I could download some alternatives?

I'd recommend just deactivating the dock icon as there's no real use for it. Use DockDodger or do it the hard way: :-)
Objective Development FAQ wrote:It is possible, but not recommended. See the LaunchBar Help, chapter “Tips & Tricks” for details.

I hope that helped to clarify your main points, feel free to ask anyway ;-)

Ludwig
Last edited by ludwigschubert on Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jono
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Coming from Quicksilver - A few questions :)

Post by Jono » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:57 pm

Hey ludwigschubert,

ludwigschubert wrote:Objective Development promised there will be QuickSilver-like invoking via
"a short tap on a modifier key such as Command or Control" in the 4.4 update.
Maybe more otions will be included, but for now you're limited to the 7 given choices.

Would be great if this was added in the future! It's pretty limited at the moment.

ludwigschubert wrote:When you go to the Configuration (command+y) you can uncheck single bookmarks under the "[Browser] Bookmarks" rule. I don't think there's a way of disabling a single folder at the moment

That's good enough for me. (I have some Quicksilver searches in there that were showing up as LaunchBar search templates. I've unchecked them & it's fine now :)).

ludwigschubert wrote:None that I know of. But although it might be a pain to get used to it I actually found it to be very useful: You never have to think about LaunchBar already being open or in any kind of 'state' at the moment: you hit your key combination and your ready to use LaunchBar. But that's just my humble opinion. :-)

OK, I'll try to get used to using Escape to cancel/get out of LaunchBar. Actually the explanation you linked to makes sense, & Command-H might be better for me :)

ludwigschubert wrote:No.

But you can go into LaunchBar's package and alter the standard icon. At the moment it's not supported for performance reasons, I think.

Ah, that's a shame. I have some folders called the same names, & it's easy to pick out the folder I want from seeing which custom icon it has.

And thanks, I've changed some of the icons in the LaunchBar app.
For example I've added a bookmark folder icon that (I think) suits Safari & Leopard better

And changed the colour of the bookmark history items to something not so garish

Along with other icons to make look more in keeping with Leopard

Thanks a lot for your help! A couple more questions...

When moving a file to a location to where a file of the same name exists (an older version) is there any way I can get it to replace the file with the newer version? At the moment it just pops up a message that saying the item already exists with no option to replace it.

Is it possible for LaunchBar to index Del.icio.us bookmarks?

And finally if I select a URL in a document & bring it into LaunchBar (hold down Command-Space) is there anything I can do to edit the text, instead of hitting Return to open the URL?
For example I bring http://www.apple.com/ into LaunchBar but want to edit it to http://www.apple.co.uk instead of hitting Return to open up http://www.apple.com/

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:31 pm

Del.icio.us:

Here's a pretty interesting thread about del.icio.us bookmarks with a (somewhat complicated) workaround by bdesham. 8)

Replace:

Is currently broken, but being worked on. :|

URL Modification:

Not included by default, I think.
But could be done easily by writing an Applescript that takes the text as an argument and displays it in an editable text box, then opens the altered URL on hitting return :)
I know, not as nice as integrated but should be working - if you code it, please publish it here…

regards,
Ludwig

PS: Could you help me find that gorgeous wallpaper, please?

Jono
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jono » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:59 pm

Thanks again for your help :)

You can get the wood wallpaper here.

FredB
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FredB » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:51 am

You can find a devkit for a similar wallpaper here.

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:11 pm

:mrgreen: lol, FredB, Jonom thank you guys! :D