searching numbers

General discussions about LaunchBar
shimson rueveen

searching numbers

Post by shimson rueveen » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:49 pm

I have just downloaded LaunchBar and I'd like to find out what I'm doing wrong.

With Spotlight I can search on and find any image or document in which there is an internal number within the image name or used within the document, but when I use LaunchBar and start to type in a number, it doesn't allow me to complete the number and make a search.
What am I missing?

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:47 am

First of all, LaunchBar uses an "abbreviation search" technique which is designed for searching items by their name, but isn't practical for searching document contents (you cannot "abbreviate" the contents of a file, but you can abbreviate its name).

To search for file contents you may use LaunchBar's "Search in Spotlight" functionality, which is quickly accessible using the Command-Option-Control-Space shortcut.

when I use LaunchBar and start to type in a number, it doesn't allow me to complete the number

LaunchBar rejects any character input that would lead to an empty search result. Let's say your index contains the following items:

image-123.jpg
image-124.jpg
image-125.jpg

When you now type the abbreviation "123", you will get the first item, if you just type "12" you'll get all three items. However, if you type "129", LaunchBar will refuse your input of the last digit "9", since there's no item matching the abbreviation "129".