Trying Launch Bar, need equivalent of QS ", trick"

General discussions about LaunchBar
knight777

Trying Launch Bar, need equivalent of QS ", trick"

Post by knight777 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:30 pm

Hi LB Community,

Since QS's future is a bit fuzzy I thought I'd give Launch Bar a try. However, I'm a bit stumped. The feature in QS that I use the most, as in 100s of times a day, is to launch multiple applications using the ", trick".

For example, if I want to open Mail, NetNewsWire, and Safari in QS I type "M, N, S" and hit enter and all three apps launch. It is insanely useful.

I can't even begin to test Launch Bar if there isn't an equivalent. After going through the LB docs and doing a couple forum searches it looks like I'm out of luck before I even start. Is there a way to easily launch multiple apps? I'm hoping I'm just missing something.

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:10 pm

No, I'm afraid you're right.
I don't think there is a way to do that in LaunchBar.

if you use a certain set of apps together often you can write an Applescript that opens those apps and launch that via LaunchBar.

Apart from that I can only ask you to write the developer how useful that feature would be for you - they're usually very responsive :-)

I'm sorry to disappoint you,
ludwig

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:16 pm

Now that I reflected on my own app-starting habits ;-) I have a question for you:
Is it so much harder to press enter after each app and then your shortcut again? It seems fast enough for me as even one app will usually take longer to start than me typing in two or three app names.

I hope I made sense,
Ludwig :D

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dennis » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:53 pm

Yeah, when I first started using LaunchBar (couple years ago now), I also yearned for Quicksilver's comma feature to launch multiple items. But since then, I've gotten used to not having it and, frankly, don't miss it that much.

There are, however, some rare instances where I'd like to select multiple files in LaunchBar and send them all to an app (usually text files sent to BBEdit), but I can't. The best I can do is select them in the Finder, invoke LaunchBar, hit Command-G to put the current Finder selection on the bar, and then tab-send them to BBEdit. It's not as nice as the comma feature, but it works, I guess.
Last edited by Dennis on Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

knight777

Post by knight777 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:06 am

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. For me its a deal breaker. Selecting and launching multiple applications is a must for the work I do. I can't even imagine using my Mac without that ability now.

I'll keep my eye on Launch Bar though.

FredSmith
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FredSmith » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:07 am

ludwigschubert wrote:Now that I reflected on my own app-starting habits ;-) I have a question for you:
Is it so much harder to press enter after each app and then your shortcut again? It seems fast enough for me as even one app will usually take longer to start than me typing in two or three app names.

I hope I made sense,
Ludwig :D

For me, it's not so much the opening files, as copying/moving them. The comma function is great because I can do a search, hit comma, do another search, hit comma, do another search, hit comma ... and QuickSilver will build a list of all the files that I've selected in the search - then I can trash them or move them to another location in one go. Works very well when the files you are looking for are scattered all over the disk; much quicker than using the Finder.

I'd like to see this added if possible.

Jono
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jono » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:31 pm

Yea, after switching to LaunchBar this is a feature that I'm really missing :(

I'll often launch 3 or 4 apps at once & used to use the comma trick with QS. CTRL-Space, 'typename', Return for each app seems really awkward & slow.

Plus the fact that you can't select multiple files (from within LaunchBar) to copy, move or whatever seems like a feature really needed. I hope it can make into LaunchBar at some point in the future :)

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:15 pm

You two are right :D

I just tried it in Quicksilver again and it's really fantastic -
I hadn't used LaunchBar for copying/moving very often and it seems that the QS way of doing it is much nicer and actually usable for me.

I once again filed a request :wink:

Ludwig

Jono
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jono » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:40 pm

Thanks ludwigschubert :)

egrieco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Comma trick

Post by egrieco » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:03 pm

As far as launching multiple apps it doesn't seem like that much of a time saver over the current implementation, a few fractions of a second at best.

However, for performing an action on a group of files this feature would be invaluable. I add my vote in case any developers are reading this thread. :)

beerich
Rank 4
Rank 4

Idea...

Post by beerich » Thu May 08, 2008 2:02 pm

You might just get more RAM and leave them open. Have a stack of common applications and write an applescript to open them at once.

allen_a_watson

Re: Comma trick

Post by allen_a_watson » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:47 am

egrieco wrote:However, for performing an action on a group of files this feature would be invaluable. I add my vote in case any developers are reading this thread. :)

I add my vote to that. Being able to "select" multiple files, with varying search criteria, and then send them to an application, would be very useful. I definitely could use it.

I use the trick now of selecting multiple files in Finder (either within same folder or, in list view, within the same folder tree), typing Cmd-Space and holding the spacebar, which puts all the files into LB. Then Tab, and type the abbreviation for the app I want to send them to. But being able to locate files from widely dispersed locations on my system and gather them together into LB would be a big help.

gburch

Post by gburch » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:12 am

+1 for multiple file selection without going to finder

FredSmith
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FredSmith » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:18 am

gburch wrote:+1 for multiple file selection without going to finder

Yes, that's what's missing.

FredSmith
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FredSmith » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:29 am

FredSmith wrote:
gburch wrote:+1 for multiple file selection without going to finder

Yes, that's what's missing.

Hang on a minute ....

It does do that now I think.

You can go seek out files using LB and then add them to the clipboard.