Clipboard history items disappearing

General discussions about LaunchBar
ccstone

Re: Clipboard history items disappearing

Postby ccstone » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:13 am

For weeks now LaunchBar 6.10's Clipboard History has been unusable on macOS 10.12.6.

At this point it's hard to believe the developers are prioritizing fixing this very vexing problem.   :shock:

My workflow is highly dependent upon being able to use LaunchBar's Clipboard History and ClipMerge, so I finally reverted to LaunchBar 6.9.5.

I recommend all users keep at least a couple of back versions, so they too have this option available to them.

Meh...

-ccs

user8368

Postby user8368 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:08 pm

Over 2 months of this problem now. No real update from the developers in regards to time frame, description of the problem or workaround. I'm switching to Alfred.

bigcloits
Rank 2
Rank 2

Postby bigcloits » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:12 pm

I really sympathize with other users' frustration over this, and I am also getting a little concerned about ObDev's priorities. I can imagine more important bugs to fix as fast as possible, but not many.

But I'm sticking it out. Although it's definitely inconvenient, my "workaround" works well enough. I have now gotten into the habit of toggling clipboard history every time I especially need the history to work for at least a few minutes.

And LaunchBar is far too valuable to me to abandon it because of one glitchy feature, no matter how nasty, as long as most of the functionality remains as great as it has always been — and of course it does. As exasperating as this situation is, ObDev has been an amazing member of the Mac dev community for a loooong time. I feel some loyalty.

lycopodiopsida

Postby lycopodiopsida » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:26 am

And LaunchBar is far too valuable to me to abandon it because of one glitchy feature, no matter how nasty, as long as most of the functionality remains as great as it has always been — and of course it does. As exasperating as this situation is, ObDev has been an amazing member of the Mac dev community for a loooong time. I feel some loyalty.

Well, I am switching to Alfred, too - have bought a lifetime license long time ago anyway. See, it is not even this particular bug, event though it is pretty infuriating to see that such a basic bug is not fixed for such a long time. It is just that I have feeling to ride a dead horse with Launchbar. Bugs are not fixed, forums are full with advertising, developers are not interested in community (Are there still any? Writing some snake oil like LittleSnitch, I guess.) and try to get some roadmap for future product development out of them...

sixdoublefive321

Postby sixdoublefive321 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:11 pm

This board is entirely useless for reporting problems. No developer is looking at it. It's clear when you look at the list of threads and they are half spam.

I encourage everyone to send emails to launchbar@obdev.at, or copy this into your address bar to open your default mail app:

Code: Select all

mailto:launchbar@obdev.at?subject=%5Bobdev.at%23other%5D%20Other%20Question&body=Please%20fix%20launchbar%27s%20clipboard%20history%2C%20you%27re%20driving%20me%20crazy.

This link should work for gmail users:
https://mail.google.com/mail/?view=cm&fs=1&to=launchbar@obdev.at&su=%5Bobdev.at%23other%5D%20Other%20Question&body=Please%20fix%20launchbar%27s%20clipboard%20history%2C%20you%27re%20driving%20me%20crazy.

bigcloits
Rank 2
Rank 2

Postby bigcloits » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:10 am

Significant update, and good news. I have been in touch with ObDev via email, working with them to nail down bug reproduction, with good success. Although I don't know why ObDev isn't monitoring/participating here, I can at least confirm they are aware of this bug, that they can now (finally) reproduce it reliably, that they seem to understand the nature of the problem as well, and a fix is probably imminent.

Meanwhile, I also have more information about exactly what triggers the bug and how to avoid it, which may be helpful for many users.

The bug is triggered by copying certain strings of text. The problem strings are probably not very common. But some users, like myself, have been frequently triggering the bug because we habitually copy something that does do it. I have a spreadsheet that I work in constantly with dates formatted like this:

1-18—09:15

And most strings with a — followed by a : will break the clipboard history. By changing the date format in my spreadsheet (no dash), I have almost completely worked around this problem. It's basically a non-issue for me now.

There are other strings that can cause the problem, but they appear to be weird, like this one (previously reported in this thread):

“http://test.com/[CODE]”

Once triggered, the bug behaviour is consistent and comprehensible (just hard to work out without error logs). When active, the bug causes copied items not to be added to the clipboard until switching applications. Any subsequent copies before switching apps will be lost. It's was easy for me to verify this once I knew what I was looking for.

Finally, when clipboard history is broken, it can definitely be reset by toggling clipboard history off and back on. This became a viable workaround for me as soon as I eliminated the frequent triggers I was getting from that spreadsheet.

keitofu

Postby keitofu » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:59 am

thanks for the debugging !
i was getting crazy lately, thinking i was doing something wrong, seems at least that it does not only happen to me !
i hope they fix it soon :)

wide_eyed_pupil

Postby wide_eyed_pupil » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:19 am

I came here to post the same. On same version of LB and macOS. It's been getting worse from what I can tell dropping every second or more clipboard items after I paste once then can not see it again.

I used to use a dedicated clipboard history helper app and might have to reinstall that if this doesn't get fixed soon. Very annoying, but makes me realise how much I use this feature.

wide_eyed_pupil

Postby wide_eyed_pupil » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:22 am

thanks for the explanation of what causes it. I was definitely getting it frequently on URLs used from social media. I thought was happening on regular text to to be honest. I'll pay more attention now and see if my experience concurs with what the developer is saying.

Return to “LaunchBar General”