Clipboard history items disappearing

General discussions about LaunchBar
user8368

Clipboard history items disappearing

Postby user8368 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:59 pm

Lately I've had this really annoying problem where a very recent string I have copied is not present in the history 5-10 seconds later. It's really frustrating. Is there some logic by where new clipboard items are ignored? Like if there is a series of items copied in short succession?

jefferbo

Re: Clipboard history items disappearing

Postby jefferbo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:36 pm

I'm also seeing only some copied items end up in Launchbar's Clipboard History. Haven't noticed any obvious correlation between the circumstances of copying that lead to items missing. This began once upgrading to Mojave and I do have Launchbar added under Security & Privacy > Accessibility.

jefferbo

Postby jefferbo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:39 pm

Actually, I've noticed one reproducible case that doesn't seem to work. The string:

“http://test.com/[CODE]”

including the quotes, never seems to be added to the Clipboard History when copied.

bigcloits
Rank 2
Rank 2

Postby bigcloits » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:44 am

Same. I came here tonight looking for forum posts on this topic and immediately found one.

It's not just erratically nuking clipboard history items, but also sometimes the current clipboard contents, whatever I just copied.

It's happening so frequently that I've abandoned reliance on the clipboard history, which is a huge bummer. The interference with the current clipboard content is downright serious though.

I haven't investigated much yet, but my first couple attempts to reproduce the problem were failures… even though it's happening so frequently that it's driving me nuts, I haven't actually caught it in the act yet.

I am not sure if it started with the last LB version, or when I installed Mojave, but I think Mojave.

user8368

Postby user8368 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:33 pm

I removed LB and its configuration and started fresh. So far, the problem hasn't come back.

jefferbo

Postby jefferbo » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:30 pm

Maybe our original problems were actually different. I uninstalled and reinstalled LaunchBar but my problem still persists. I still can't get that string I mentioned earlier to land in the Clipboard History when copying it.
Last edited by jefferbo on Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jgjgjg

Postby jgjgjg » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:29 pm

I'm also seeing problems with the clipboard recently. If I copy several items quickly only the most recently copied item appears in the clipboard. Pausing between copies keeps all of them. I noticed restarting launchbar seems to fix the issue.

user8368

Postby user8368 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:25 pm

jefferbo wrote:I can't get that string I mentioned early to land in the Clipboard History when copying it.

I also have this problem.

bigcloits
Rank 2
Rank 2

Postby bigcloits » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:31 pm

I will also confirm that I cannot get this string into the clipboard history.

“http://test.com/[CODE]”

I have also made some progress on reproducing the error, and what I found helps to explain why I had some trouble “catching it in the act.” Here’s the thing: clipboard history is fine IF YOU CHECK IT, but fails if you don’t look. These steps produce the expected behaviour:

1. copy “Apples”
2. invoke clipboard history, it will show “Apples” as the most recent item
3. copy “Oranges”
4. invoke clipboard history, it will show “Oranges” as the most recent item, and “Apples” as the second, as expected

These steps reproduce clipboard history failure:

1. copy “Apples” and do NOT yet invoke clipboard history
2. copy “Oranges”
3. invoke clipboard history, which now shows oranges ONLY: “Apples” is gone, even though it was definitely copied

In other words, clipboard history is behaving when closely observed… but is entirely non-functional if you simply copy multiple items in a row. So every time I tried to figure out what was going on, I would of course CHECK the clipboard history after copying, which actually prevented the problem I was looking for. No wonder I was confused!

jefferbo

Postby jefferbo » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:45 pm

Followed bigloits' repro steps and had the same results.

P.S. FWIW, Clipboard History is literally the only feature of Launchbar I use. I've looked for other clipboard managers but haven't found one that has the same functionality as Launchbar, notably being able to hit one keyboard combo (Cmd + Option + V) to bring up the history, press it again (as long as you didn't release the Cmd key) to cycle through the history, and have it paste when you release all those keys. If anyone knows of something else out there that works exactly like that, let me know.

bigcloits
Rank 2
Rank 2

Postby bigcloits » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:55 pm

Clipboard History is far from the ONLY feature of LaunchBar that I use :wink: but it is arguably the most important. I use it almost constantly. Or rather, DID use it almost constantly: I have now been mostly living without it for a couple weeks, and it’s really frustrating.

user8368

Postby user8368 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:29 pm

user8368 wrote:I removed LB and its configuration and started fresh. So far, the problem hasn't come back.

And now the problem is back for me. Really frustrating problem when I rely on LB clipboard history feature so much. It's a huge productivity booster for me. I'll try to contact support.

user8368

Postby user8368 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:31 pm

bigcloits wrote:1. copy “Apples”
2. invoke clipboard history, it will show “Apples” as the most recent item
3. copy “Oranges”
4. invoke clipboard history, it will show “Oranges” as the most recent item, and “Apples” as the second, as expected

These steps reproduce clipboard history failure:

1. copy “Apples” and do NOT yet invoke clipboard history
2. copy “Oranges”
3. invoke clipboard history, which now shows oranges ONLY: “Apples” is gone, even though it was definitely copied

In other words, clipboard history is behaving when closely observed… but is entirely non-functional if you simply copy multiple items in a row. So every time I tried to figure out what was going on, I would of course CHECK the clipboard history after copying, which actually prevented the problem I was looking for. No wonder I was confused!

Good work!

bigcloits
Rank 2
Rank 2

Postby bigcloits » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:25 pm

Since reproducing at least one major aspect of this issue, I have settled into workaround for occasions when I need to be sure that I'm accumulating a clipboard history: I simply invoke the history after each copy. Since both actions have very familiar shortcuts, the friction is minimal. But it's still an unpleasant non-solution, after years of simply relying on clipboard history.

Help us, ObDev, you're our only hope!

Note that the Clipboard Merge feature is suffering essentially the same problem, because it relies on clipboard history. Since it's just concatenating new copied items with the most recent item in the clipboard history, if the history is borked, then so is ClipMerge. Steps…

1. copy "lions"
2. copy "tigers" with ClipMerge
3. invoke clipboard history; it will show that "tigers" is merged with not-"lions" (but rather whatever was in the history before lions)

And invoking the clipboard history between copies will fix merging:

1. copy "lions"
2. invoke clipboard history, verify "lions" is present
3. copy "tigers" with ClipMerge
4. invoke clipboard history, verify "tigers" merged with "lions"

bigcloits
Rank 2
Rank 2

Postby bigcloits » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:36 pm

Just to firm up this bug reporting a little more, some environmental factors…

Important! Just confirmed I cannot reproduce this bug in a test account! Clipboard history and ClipMerge appear to work perfectly in a fresh user account. So this may be related to an interaction with another app, or corrupted user preferences. Obviously a valuable clue.

My LaunchBar version is 6.10 (6200). I have been reproducing the bug clipboard history bugs on each of two Macs, a 2016 iMac and and a 2017 MacBook Pro, both running macOS 10.14.1.

I mentioned data loss of the current clipboard item in my first post, which would be more serious than a broken history. However, I haven't been able to reproduce that, and there's a good chance that I simply mistook the loss of a just-copied item (the most recent in the history) for loss of the current clipboard contents.

Return to “LaunchBar General”