General discussions about LaunchBar
norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Beta 2 of LaunchBar 4.2 released

Post by norbert » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:12 pm

We've just released a new beta of LaunchBar 4.2

Bug Fixes:
  • Fixed a potential security vulnerability introduced in LaunchBar 4.2 beta 1. We highly recommend all beta 1 users to upgrade to beta 2!
  • Indexing rules cannot be deleted in the configuration window. Fixed.
    Opening the LaunchBar Help no longer starts the Classic version of Help Viewer.
  • Fixed an issue causing LaunchBar to crash when indexing the Firefox/Camino History.
New Features and Improvements:
  • Large type display. You can use the "x-launchbar:large-type?string=*" search template to display arbitrary strings in large type. Multiple lines can be separated with a backslash character. You can also invoke this feature from other applications by opening the corresponding x-launchbar URLs.
  • Improved "Calculate" AppleScript: The results are now displayed in large type.
  • Improved Phone number display: Phone numbers are now displayed along with the Person's name.
  • Running an AppleScript via LaunchBar no longer automatically hides LaunchBar. If you want to hide LaunchBar manually from within your custom AppleScripts you can use the "open location" directive to open the URL "x-launchbar:hide"
  • x-launchbar URL scheme: Some of LaunchBar's internal functionality is now accessible via URL API. You can open such URLs using "open location" in AppleScripts, or using the "open" command in Shell scripts.
  • A number of "x-launchbar" search templates have been added to the factory configuration (Open Location, Go to, Large Type, Abbreviation Search, etc.)
Last edited by norbert on Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

veke
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by veke » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:06 pm

The possibility to copy the result from the Calculate-applescript seem to be gone with the large text display?! I really need to be able to do that. Am I missing something or is this the case? Any chance of having that option back? Will extract the script from beta 1 and add to the configuration for now, but I think more users will want that back, since most times when you do a calculation you want to use the result for something? Thanks!

EDIT: perhaps an option to set the clipboard to the result once the window is dismissed? I don't like cluttering the preferences with options, but it would be nice..

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:24 pm

Have you tried Command-C? :wink:

veke
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by veke » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:25 pm

hahaah
Man I will remove my post.

Jaharmi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Jaharmi » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:07 pm

Yay! Large text!

Of course, one of my co-workers just pointed out the LargeType Service from Cold Pizza Software (first hit on Google for LargeType, btw), so I was going to try that with the new LB beta’s services support. Guess I can skip that now. :)

Btw, I like the large type display of address book info, including actual street addresses. I forget when I first saw that (I think it was a feature addition) but it made my day, much like the large text display of phone numbers originally did for me when I found LB.

Update: Omigosh, the new URL scheme for large type is really useful. You could have a Web page (local or otherwise) full of text you want to display in large type. Or you could have URL clippings in a folder (indexed by LB, of course!) ready to announce some pithy comment in a meeting! This is very cool and it’s got all of my Quicksilver-using coworkers scrambling to see if they can do it there. Ha ha! Neat!

Jaharmi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Jaharmi » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:59 pm

Are the security implications of these new URL scheme/action features being taken into account?

Although I mentioned really liking the functionality of the Large Text feature and its URL link, I'm concerned that the more functions that are exposed as URL actions, the more potential for harm exists. This is especially true when you consider that any URL action could be invoked without the user's knowledge, in the background with zero or little user interface, by triggers like META REFRESH and scripts and other means.

Is there a way to block URL access to these functions, except through specific means? For example, could I block them from being invoked by Safari and other browsers, at the very least?

Jaharmi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Jaharmi » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:27 pm

I would like to be able to set the font, at least for symbols, for the Large Text feature. I’ve been playing around with posting iTunes-style star ratings to my screen, and the default font has some odd looking stars.

At least for this purpose, I’ve found AppleGothic to provide good display of star ratings (both solid and outlined stars).

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:52 pm

Jaharmi wrote:Are the security implications of these new URL scheme/action features being taken into account?

Although I mentioned really liking the functionality of the Large Text feature and its URL link, I'm concerned that the more functions that are exposed as URL actions, the more potential for harm exists.

Yes we did consider possible security implications. Only "harmless" functionality is (or will be) exposed via URL API. Right now this API only allows you to display messages on your screen and to select items in LaunchBar. You cannot use this API to open any items or to run any kind of executable code.

And for that very reason, the "perform-service" command is restricted to internal usage via search templates only. You cannot invoke these URLs from an external application such as Safari.
Last edited by norbert on Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:53 pm

Jaharmi wrote:I would like to be able to set the font, at least for symbols, for the Large Text feature.

This will be possible with the next beta of LaunchBar 4.2.

Jaharmi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Jaharmi » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:48 am

I’d like to thank you for these updates in the current betas; they are some of the best and most interesting changes in the product in a while.

Also, thanks for your answer about the security of the new URL functions. It looked like that’s what you were doing—offering only display features, without taking any actions—but it is good to have clarification.

Are you doing any sort of sanitization of what's passed to LB for display via URLs—watching, for example, for something that would overflow a buffer or be character(s) which LB would react badly to?

storre

x-launchbar complete list

Post by storre » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:47 pm

Is this the complete list of the url api or are there others?

x-launchbar:large-type?string=LaunchBar+4.2
x-launchbar:select?file=/Applications
x-launchbar:select?url=www.obdev.at
x-launchbar:select?url=www.obdev.at&name=Objective+Development
x-launchbar:select?abbreviation=SAFARI
x-launchbar:hide

Thanks!

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: x-launchbar complete list

Post by norbert » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:57 pm

storre wrote:Is this the complete list of the url api or are there others?

Almost. There's also the "perform-service" command. However, as mentioned above, it's restricted to internal usage via search templates only, it can't be invoked from external applications such as Safari.