Slow search in LaunchBar 6.9.3

General discussions about LaunchBar
SteveH
Rank 1
Rank 1

Slow search in LaunchBar 6.9.3

Postby SteveH » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:55 pm

With 6.9.3 I'm getting unusually slow results. If I try to launch, say, Spillo I type 'spi' and Safari appears with the 's' but then there's a noticeable delay before the results switch to the correct app.

Indexes have all rebuilt to no effect.

Anyone else seeing this?

ordenador

Re: Slow search in LaunchBar 6.9.3

Postby ordenador » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:09 am

Yes, I have been having a lot of slowness with LaunchBar the last few days.

mfilej

Postby mfilej » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:49 pm

I'm noticing the same issue on one of my computers (running High Sierra).

I can't tell exactly when it started, because I use LaunchBar so much (not only to launch, but also to switch between apps) that I first I thought it was the computer that was getting slow.

I went looking through the Index (cmd+shift+i) to see if there was a category that had a suspicious number of entries. I didn't find any, but I did notice that clicking on the built-in Applications category took a while to load. Even switching back and forth between [Index|Options], loading the Index side takes a while. After that I tried disabling the Application index and LaunchBar has sped up significantly. Then, I tried to re-add applications back as a regular Folder - and everything got slow again (including listing the contents in the Index window).

Can anyone confirm this behavior?

SteveH
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby SteveH » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:51 pm

Can anyone confirm this behavior?

I'm seeing exactly this same behaviour here. I'm finding the delay just enough to be irritating in use.

pbri

Postby pbri » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:17 pm

Same for me. It is almost unusable as I use launchbar for everything. I type CMD-SPACE to bring it up, and "Mes" to bring Messages to the front. The right side of the panel shows "MES", but it takes 1-2 seconds per letter to sort. First you see the M results, then the ME results, finally the MES results.

I upgrade to 6.9.3 yesterday, and the problem began with that upgrade for me.

SteveH
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby SteveH » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:04 pm

A restart fixed this for me.

marco
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby marco » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:59 am

We’re seeing this issue on our Macs as well. This seems to be a an issue with macOS 10.13 where a macOS process called lsd (for Launch Services Daemon) starts acting weird after a while. That process is responsible for all kinds of things that have to do with files and apps on disk, like getting the names of apps (those can be localized) or determining which app should open a given file. LaunchBar uses official macOS APIs provided to developers to query exactly these things. Every time LaunchBar wants to show an app in the list, it asks the system for the name of that app and the system delegates this query to the lsd process. This is not something new in LaunchBar.

Recently (10.13.0? 10.13.1?) we started noticing the same thing as you did: LaunchBar gets slow sometimes. We found out that every time that is the case, lsd has high CPU usage. You can see this in Activity Monitor easily. Quitting and launching LaunchBar again doesn’t help, but killing lsd immediately makes things fast again (macOS restarts it automatically). But I wouldn’t recommend that because some things don’t work properly then (e.g. app icons disappear). Restarting your Mac solves the issue, too, and logging out and back in should also work (but I haven’t tried that).

Note that you can see the same problem without LaunchBar just by using Finder. When LaunchBar is slow like that because lsd hogs the CPU, just try the following: Open Activity Monitor and search for lsd. Open a Finder window and go to the Applications folder. Relaunch the Finder by clicking its icon in the Dock while holding the Control and Option keys, then choose “Relaunch”. When Finder relaunches, note that the window showing the Applications folder takes a long time to show anything, while lsd has high CPU usage. If you try the same thing after killing lsd, the window shows apps immediately.

I’m afraid I can’t offer a useful fix at the moment besides restarting your Mac. We’re investigating this further and hope that we can either do something about this ourselves or it will be fixed in an upcoming macOS release.

mfilej

Postby mfilej » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:42 pm

Thanks for the explanation!

I can confirm that a restart worked for me as well.

bitcohen

Postby bitcohen » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:10 pm

Did you try not to index to many folders. Only the folders you really need?
Does LB use very much RAM?
Must be something you indexed that slows down the process
Cheers,bitcohen
Last edited by bitcohen on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

beerich
Rank 3
Rank 3

Postby beerich » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:19 am

Troubleshooting LB means finding out how much memory it usually takes, and monitoring how far above it goes. When this happens, I check the index and find that mounted volumes on the network (SAN) have made it into Mounted Volumes, and it can take forever to index, as well as run the index to a stupid size. When you search, that index needs to be traversed to find what you're looking for. Much like how a regex on a large source takes some time.

So check mounted volumes, or turn on auto-show of indexing process. It should tell you what's bogging it down.

dvstr

Postby dvstr » Tue May 01, 2018 3:55 am

I'm not sure if my issue is related to this, but instead of posting a new thread I figured it'd be best to ask here instead

My issue is that after I open the launchbar bar and type something, after the 2nd character I have a short delay right before the results pop up. I could type "MAIL" it lags for a split second and displays "MA", then when the results pop up the rest of my search query appears.

I went into index settings and disabled a lot of things I don't need but the issue persists. Restarting doesn't help. I also recently re-installed my Mac (1 week ago?) with a fresh High Sierra.

It's not a big issue but if I want to rapidly do things it gets a little annoying.

Is this the same issue you guys were talking about here?

marco
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby marco » Wed May 02, 2018 12:12 pm

Do you see high CPU usage of the lsd process when this happens? If so, I’d say it’s the same issue.

But is this reproducibly always when you type the third character or was that just a random example?
Does it matter what you type, i.e. does the slowdown only appear when you search for Mail?
Does it depend on the kinds of results? For example, if you select the “Emoji” rule, navigate into it using the right arrow key and then perform a search, does it slow down, too? (In this example, nothing would access the disk.)

beerich
Rank 3
Rank 3

Postby beerich » Wed May 02, 2018 12:49 pm

Hi there.

Can we please not highjack threads? All participants get notified about someone else's issue.

Take the 10 seconds and start a new thread. Thank you.

Return to “LaunchBar General”