High Sierra: Fullscreen windows not focused

General discussions about LaunchBar
mqt

High Sierra: Fullscreen windows not focused

Postby mqt » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:21 pm

I've been having an issue with switching between fullscreen windows and the new window not being focused ever since upgrading to High Sierra.

For example, if I'm in a fullscreened Chrome and switch to a fullscreened Terminal with LaunchBar, Terminal will come into view but I can't type into Terminal without first clicking on it to give it focus.

Anyone else have this issue? Works fine if I use Spotlight to switch between applications.

SteveH
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: High Sierra: Fullscreen windows not focused

Postby SteveH » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:40 am

You are not alone! I have also been having this problem too and I believe it's due to Launchbar creating 'windows' that have focus.

I initially saw this when the application switcher 'Witch' slowed right down due to the number of windows it needed to list. I've reported it to ObDev about 7 weeks ago but it became a frequent enough problem I moved over to another switcher temporarily.

I think you confirmed by hypothesis it's a problem with fullscreen apps.

JimmyTheSaint
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby JimmyTheSaint » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:09 pm

What switcher did you switch to?

SteveH
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby SteveH » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:00 pm

Sorry - I wasn't entirely accurate in my earlier post. I've temporarily switched to another Launcher

JimmyTheSaint
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby JimmyTheSaint » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:12 pm

What launcher did you switch to?

SteveH
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby SteveH » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:57 pm

I’m always wary of promoting a competing problem in a software developer’s forum. It’s the one with the hat and I don’t find it nearly as good as Launchbar! :D

JimmyTheSaint
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby JimmyTheSaint » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:27 am

I think a civil discussion of comparable apps' relative merits benefits both the users and the devs. We shouldn't be afraid to honestly relate our actual user experiences, which any intelligent dev should find quite valuable and not something to get defensive about. The devs can improve their sense of what the users want and need, and they can compare with other implementations to think of better ways of doing things. Abusive users are another story, but that's not us.

I've paid for both Alfred and Launchbar. When it comes to app switching, Launchbar is the clear winner as its interface is much faster (i.e., requires many less keystrokes) than Alfred. So this window focus problem is really unfortunate, but I don't experience it because I use fullscreen only rarely. Launchbar is having the failure-to-launch problem discussed in another thread when using a single tap to activate it, so I'm forced to always activate LB via cmd-space until the problem's fixed. I type fast, so a failure-to-launch leads to clobbered data, but cmd-space is two keystrokes compared to the single tap, and this matters to my in-the-field experience. Alfred is unacceptable to me as an app switcher because of its lack of abbreviations: there's always some chance--however small--that a given keystroke sequence won't launch the app you intended, greatly slowing down my speed.

Karabiner is the last word in the absolutely fastest, most customizable app switching, but its re-design for post-El Capitan kernel changes is still not complete and all the basic functionality for app switching still isn't available.

By the way, as the Alfred devs point out, Alfred's different design philosophy makes it far better than Launchbar if you need to do a lot of serious file searching across many volumes, particularly when they're on other networks. I never need that because my files are organized in a way that LB always finds what I'm looking for quickly. I've used Alfred and LB concurrently on the same machine, and that works fine, but lately I've turned off Alfred because even though Alfred is a great app, LB does each thing I actually need to do faster, plus a few things Alfred won't do at all, like Sending.

SteveH
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby SteveH » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:35 am

Totally agree with much of what you're saying here. For me, LB's ubiquitous instant send is what makes it peerless.

JimmyTheSaint
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby JimmyTheSaint » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:51 am

My holy grail is this: one-keypress app switching. In any context, you longpress a key and the app you've assigned to that key gets switched to. LB currently offers 3-key switching: the 2-key activation followed by longpressing a 1-key abbreviation. It would be 2-key if LB's modifier tap can be fixed to work 100% of the time.

SteveH
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby SteveH » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:57 pm

Just out of interest - this is what seems to be causing my problems. I get a new Launchbar 'window' each time I use it to launch as app or document. If I use the finder it doesn't add one of these. There are no fullscreen apps running at any time.

Return to “LaunchBar General”