Custom Shortcuts. How to make them work?

General discussions about LaunchBar
jerrykrinock

Custom Shortcuts. How to make them work?

Post by jerrykrinock » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:26 pm

I'm still using LaunchBar 3 because I have not yet figured out a way to import my LaunchBar 3 shortcuts into LaunchBar 4.

Today, I decided to bite the bullet and start entering them manually, but even when I enter a "Custom List" item manually, it still doesn't work.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

Open LaunchBar 4 Configuration
In left pane, check box "Custom List"
Select "Custom List"
In right pane, click "Add"
Navigate to a file named "Passwords.cwk"
Note: I want to activate this with the shortcut "p"
control-click and edit name to "P P P Paswords.cwk"
In left pane, control-click and select "Rescan
Click "Save"
Close Configuration window.
Type cmd-space p
LaunchBar menu appears with list of 63 items

EXPECTED RESULT: "P P P Passwords.cwk" should be in the list, somewhere near the top I should think, since it begins with three of letters "P".

ACTUAL RESULT: 50 applications and 13 websites from Safari bookmarks. "P P P Passwords.cwk" is not even in the list.

What am I doing wrong?

Jerry

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:39 pm

Also I think that your approach could work, I think there's a more elegant way to achieve the same result that is built into LaunchBar4:

Add your file to the custom list, you can keep the original name (Passwords.cwk).

Now find the file in LaunchBar.
If LaunchBar doesn't find it via 'p' or 'password' or a similar abbreviation, navigate to it with the arrow keys.

Once the file is selected, hit command-option-'A' to create your personal shortcut: 'p'.

Now when you activate LaunchBar and enter a 'p' your file should show up.

sincerely,
Ludwig

PS: I realize that this is mostly copied from LaunchBar's help. You could have found the info there.

PPS: I also think that Objective Development could make this easier by adding a column to the custom list in the configuration where you could enter the abbreviation directly next to your item :-)

jerrykrinock

Post by jerrykrinock » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:51 pm

ludwigschubert wrote:Now find the file in LaunchBar.
If LaunchBar doesn't find it via 'p' or 'password' or a similar abbreviation, navigate to it with the arrow keys.

Thanks, but I must be really not getting it. When I hit cmd-space-p, I get a list of 63 items in The Launch Bar. 50 applications + 13 Safari bookmarks. Even though "Custom List" _is_checked, "Passwords.cwk" does not show in the list. I can go arrow-up and arrow-down through all 63 of them, but "Passwords.cwk" is not even in the list. Therefore, I cannot select it and cannot command-option-A.

How do I make a Custom List item show up in The Launch Bar???

Jerry

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:10 am

I don't know why your file doesn't show up in the list of items.

But I do know ways around it :-)

1. As I already said: select your documents folder (or any file or folder) in LaunchBar, then navigate to your password file with the arrow keys.
I don't know whether this was possible in LaunchBar3, but in LaunchBar4 you can use the arrow keys to navigate your HD, even if it is not indexed.

2. Alternatively, select the file in Finder, instant-send it to LaunchBar (press and hold command-space), then assign the abbreviation.

I hope this is more clear, I could still provide a step by step walk-through if needed :wink:

Ludwig

jerrykrinock

Post by jerrykrinock » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:57 am

I got it now. There were two problems.

First, I was entering my documents into a Custom List instead of using the pre-made "Documents" list.

Second, the reason why Passwords.cwk was not showing when I typed "P" is because I had to "prime the algorithm" by first typing something more specific like "Passwo", which, finally, found "Passwords.cwk", and then "Pass". These actions apparently increased the "score" of "Passwords.cwk", because after that it showed up when I merely typed "P", as desired!

I believe my misunderstanding came from many years of using LaunchBar 3.

So, Ludwig, I plan to now purchase a 3.x to 4.x Business Upgrade for $19 USD. Norbert should consider giving you a hefty sales commission from that!

Thanks again,

Jerry Krinock