Launch Bar 6 can not see an alias to an application

General discussions about LaunchBar
Walter
Rank 3
Rank 3

Launch Bar 6 can not see an alias to an application

Postby Walter » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:19 pm

I have an application (Mac Band in a Box 2017 ) located on a USB drive with the alias to that application on my Hard Drive.

For some reason i am unable to get Launch Bar ( most current version 6 ) to see that alias.

Help please/thanks.

daniela
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: Launch Bar 6 can not see an alias to an application

Postby daniela » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:42 pm

Hey Walter, if you’ve turned on the “Use macOS LaunchServices database” option in the Options pane of your Applications indexing rule (which is the default), application aliases will not be indexed, because they are not registered in the LaunchServices database. The database only provides a list of all installed applications at their original locations.

If you turn off this option, the actual contents of your hard disk will be examined, and application aliases can so be considered as well. However, indexing may then take somewhat longer compared to using the database (depending on the number of files and subfolders within the indexed application folders).

Walter
Rank 3
Rank 3

Postby Walter » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:40 pm

Hi daniela ,

As they say in the Army, tanks.

Also many tanks for reading and responding to my problem.

That was a huge help and once again validated the use and purpose of Launch Bar.

Walter
Rank 3
Rank 3

Postby Walter » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:20 pm

daniela wrote:Hey Walter, if you’ve turned on the “Use macOS LaunchServices database” option in the Options pane of your Applications indexing rule (which is the default), application aliases will not be indexed, because they are not registered in the LaunchServices database. The database only provides a list of all installed applications at their original locations.

If you turn off this option, the actual contents of your hard disk will be examined, and application aliases can so be considered as well. However, indexing may then take somewhat longer compared to using the database (depending on the number of files and subfolders within the indexed application folders).

That same problem came back today ( TUE, OCT 10, 2017 ).

Why does it keep turning back on ?

EDIT posting:

There should be a " lock " setting to prevent any inadvertent changes by the Mac OS. If there is someway to lock the settings i sure can not see it.

Return to “LaunchBar General”