Firefox and JungleDisk Questions

General discussions about LaunchBar
abdiel2000

Firefox and JungleDisk Questions

Post by abdiel2000 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:32 am

Hello,

I'm a new user of LaunchBar and I'm enjoying it very much. I've run into a couple of snags, though, and I want to know if there is something I'm missing.

I'm using Firefox (2.0.0.11) and I'm finding that while Instant Send is working with text in most other applications, it doesn't seem to be working in Firefox. (And I've quit and restarted it a few times just in case...) Should it be?

Also, I'm enjoying using the Drag and Drop feature to move files from one place to another with LB, but I'm finding that if I try to do this to JungleDisk (filename abbreviation TAB JUNG then choosing MOVE), if the file already exits there, I get a warning to that effect and nothing happens -- it doesn't offer me the option to replace the file (which is what I want). Should it?

If people could let me know what the expected behavior should be, it'll help me try to troubleshoot these.

Thanks!

Alex

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:12 pm

Hi Alex!
I think your questions can be answered :-)

Replacing files doesn't yet work:
http://forums.obdev.at/viewtopic.php?t= ... ht=replace
(in short: Objective Development is working on it :? )

Instant sending correctly formatted URLs (try the one above) to Firefox should work.
Instant sending usual text won't (what would you expect it to do with it?)
Post an idea, maybe Objective Development will include it in later Versions.
If you want to perform a google search, just set Firefox to your default browser and use the Google template
)

sincerely,
Ludwig

abdiel2000

Post by abdiel2000 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:36 pm

Ah, thank you for your reply. Glad to hear that they are working on the replace feature -- certainly seems like it would be useful.

As for why I would want to Instant Send FROM Firefox -- lets say I'm reading an article on a Web site I'm reading in Firefox and want to send a section of the text to a friend. I'd like to highlight it, use Instant Send, and then I'm off to the races. Or say use LB in a similar way to do a dictionary word check on a word on a Web site I'm reading.

Alas, this does not seem possible. I wrote tech support about this issue, and this is the response I just got:

Instant Send utilizes Max OS X Services in order to retrieve an application's current selection (it invokes the "Send to LaunchBar" command from the Services menu). Unfortunately Firefox doesn't support Services - all items in the Services menu are grayed out :-(

Thank you very much for your response,

Alex

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:53 pm

OK, now I understand :)
I thought you wanted to instant send TO Firefox - well, I'm sorry that nothing can be done right now.
I heard that Firefox 3 will try to offer better OS integration -
it might offer the Services menu sometimes in the future 8) .

yours,
Ludwig