I just don’t get it!

General discussions about LaunchBar
USARebel

I just don’t get it!

Postby USARebel » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:06 am

LB works for launching apps in the Applications folder, but fails at almost everything else.
And it won’t find newly-added apps until they’ve been opened at least once. When I install a new app, I’m forced to open it from the Applications folder the first time.

The instructions say
Type ~ (the tilde sign) to quickly select your home folder
Or type / (forward slash) to quickly select your boot volume
Use the arrow keys keys to browse the contents of the selected folder or volume

Okay, but how come when I type a slash, all the root folders aren’t shown, instead I see this?

I don’t know why those composers are shown - I haven’t played the related tracks recently.
I didn’t even recognize the names, I had to go search for 'em - they’re listed as the composers in some tracks of varying genres.
There are over a hundred iTunes tracks with a slash in the title, why aren’t some of those recently-played tracks shown instead?
When I click the right arrow, all the expected root folders are shown. Seems to me if I type a slash, then I want to start from the root folder, not some arbitrary music tracks.

Ditto for the tilde. When I type a ~, I expect to see the folders within my Home folder.
But all I see is one recipe in my Documents folder that hasn’t been opened since 7/21/09.
Like before, pressing the right arrow brings the expected folders into view.

And that's after I updated the index about 20 minutes ago.

If I type a slash and go to the Country/Male item and click the right arrow, only about 40 items are listed, even though there are hundreds of tracks in iTunes with that genre. Why?

When I type NU in Spotlight, Network Utility is the first app listed.
But it doesn’t show up at all in LB, even though hundreds of items are found, and was just used yesterday.

I do use an app to clean all my caches & logs frequently, so is that effecting LB’s index?

A while back I added my Home folder to the Index (against dev. advice), but not much in it is found by LB. Desktop, Documents & iTunes items are found, but nothing in Movies, Pictures, Downloads, or other folders I created in Home. So I guess I’ll have to add each folder in Home to the index?
That seems unnecessarily burdensome, that’s why I added the entire Home folder instead. So why isn’t the Home folder being searched?

I HATE THE SCROLLBAR! It’s very difficult to grab the slider or click successfully in its invisible track. I click and click and click to no avail, and have to try repeatedly to grab the slider.

I - HATE - IT!!! :evil:
Last edited by USARebel on Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lrivers

Re: I just don’t get it!

Postby lrivers » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:00 pm

I just dropped by to see if there was guidance on how I could get more benefit from LB and I saw your message. It’s a shame nobody has followed up with you. I can answer a few questions for you, though.

Okay, but how come when I type a slash, all the root folders aren’t shown, instead I see this?

LB is finding all the stuff in your index with a “/“. This includes “root”. That’s the first thing in the screen shot you provided. If you press the right arrow, you’ll see everything you expect to see when you just type the slash. Here’s what I see when I do that:
slash.png

Later, I think you realize this is how LB works. I think when you understand that, it becomes clearer.

But all I see is one recipe in my Documents folder that hasn’t been opened since 7/21/09. WTF?! :x

I don’t think how long it’s been since you opened something affects what LB shows you, though it does learn what you want when you type an abbreviation, within reason.

When I type NU in Spotlight, Network Utility is the first app listed.
But it doesn’t show up at all in LB, even though hundreds of items are found, and was just used yesterday.

I don’t think when it was used is part of the picture at all.

You might need to add some specific locations to some of your indexing rules and remove others entirely. I have eliminated quite a few locations and categories that I don’t need to access via LB. I don’t index iTunes or Photos or Safari stuff, personally. Here’s what my Applications rule looks like (and NU does find Network Utility for me because I have added the directory that contains it to my list).

Applications_Options.png

I do use an app to clean all my caches & logs frequently, so is that effecting LB’s index?

I wouldn’t recommend that, personally. The caching is there to improve performance, so you’re actually hurting yourself by doing this. Mac OS X is pretty good at managing this stuff and while it is possible for a cache to get corrupted or something, it’s extremely rare and cache maintenance isn’t something I would spend any effort on unless a serious problem has arisen. Is disk space a serious problem for you? If so, storage is ridiculously cheap these days.

A while back I added my Home folder to the Index (against dev. advice), but not much in it is found by LB. Desktop, Documents & iTunes items are found, but nothing in Movies, Pictures, Downloads, or other folders I created in Home. So I guess I’ll have to add each folder in Home to the index?
That seems unnecessarily burdensome, that’s why I added the entire Home folder instead. So why isn’t the Home folder being searched?

Check the indexing options for that directory in LB. That will be what determines what is indexed. I think you’ll want to limit the depth of the search, though, because otherwise it’s possible the index will be larded with stuff you don’t ACTUALLY care about.

I HATE THE SCROLLBAR! It’s very difficult to grab the slider or click successfully in its invisible track. I click and click and click to no avail, and have to try repeatedly to grab the slider.

I do see what you mean, but the whole point of LB is to use the keyboard instead of the mouse. I have never until just this minute tried to use my mouse to navigate the LB results and it is pretty twitchy. Just use the arrow keys and so forth instead and save yourself the aggravation.

Sorry it’s been frustrating to you. For me LB is one of the essential tools I can’t live without. Others include 1Password and Default Folder X, both essential to my sanity.

Good luck!

USARebel

Postby USARebel » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:41 pm

Thanks for the explanations.

It does make sense that typing / would list all items with / in their name.
However, the manual doesn’t make that clear. It says
type / (forward slash) to quickly select your boot volume

So that’s what I was expecting it to do.
But then it says
Short, one or two character abbreviations may require some additional training, especially in case of a large index with lots of possible matches.

And now when I type /, Root is the 2nd item.

The reason I added my Home folder is because I want the items found no matter where they are, just like Spotlight does.
Occasionally I need a file from a folder that's several levels deep. But I don’t want to add those folders as search locations because they’re rarely used. And tomorrow I may need a file from another rarely-accessed folder. If I have to futz around with LB trying to get it to locate those items but failing, and then resorting to Spotlight anyway, what’s the point of using LB?

I discovered last night that for some reason LB had failed to index my Home folder, that’s why it didn't find items.
My Home folder was listed in the Index but I deleted it and added it again. LB began indexing and has been ongoing for hours.
But now items in those 6-level-deep folders are immediately found (about a second faster than Spotlight).
And that’s searching the entire Home holder. So why add individual folders to the index when folders anywhere in Home can be searched so fast?

For those who use its many features, good for them, but basically all I want is a faster, better Spotlight - Spotlight Turbo.
I don’t want or need the myriad other functions available. There’s an absurd amount of functions and I can’t possibly remember all the different actions and shortcuts for using them.

As for the scrollbar, I prefer using the mouse over typing. Although I do use a few shortcuts (copy, paste, ⌘+Tab etc.), I dislike having to continually move my hands to/from the keyboard. There's no reason for LB’s scrollbar to be so ridiculously small and difficult to grab. If they’re trying to force people to use the keyboard, then remove it altogether, but don’t leave it there just to tease and annoy mice users. It’s about 4 pixels wide on my screen, Mac's scrollbars are twice that size.

I wouldn’t recommend that, personally. The caching is there to improve performance, so you’re actually hurting yourself by doing this. Mac OS X is pretty good at managing this stuff and while it is possible for a cache to get corrupted or something, it’s extremely rare and cache maintenance isn’t something I would spend any effort on unless a serious problem has arisen.

Many reputable sources recommend the use of system cleaners, and many highly-respected apps like Onyx and Cocktail include them.
I don’t normally clean caches while apps are running - I do it as part of a cleaning routine before I reboot and clone my drive.

I also use 1Password and DFX.
But I’ve been contemplating a switch to Dashlane password manager. https://www.dashlane.com

Dashlane Free works on one device, Mac, PC, iOs, or Android. You can share up to 5 logins with other users, but you have no access to your Dashlane passwords online and cannot sync information across different devices.

Dashlane Premium costs $39.99/year and allows unlimited login shares with other users. It works on multiple devices so your devices will continuously be syncing up.

Here’s a recent review of password managers. http://www.asecurelife.com/dashlane-vs- ... s-keepass/
Last edited by USARebel on Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.

USARebel

Postby USARebel » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:01 am

LaunchBar has been indexing my 275 GB Home folder over 12 hours now. WTF?
Last edited by USARebel on Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

USARebel

Postby USARebel » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:42 pm

It’s now been almost 40 hours since I re-added my Home folder and LB is STILL indexing.
It indexes the same folder every 5 seconds - I’ve never even used FaceTime.

IT NEVER STOPS! :evil:

Greg Jones
Rank 2
Rank 2

Postby Greg Jones » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:20 pm

I’ve never even used FaceTime.

If that's the case, why not just turn off the two Call with FaceTime actions in the LaunchBar index? Any actions that you don't plan on using can be turned off in the index preferences to increase performance.

USARebel

Postby USARebel » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:07 pm

FaceTime is not listed in the Index rules.

The only FaceTime item listed is the FT app in Applications. I unchecked it but the indexing continues.

Greg Jones
Rank 2
Rank 2

Postby Greg Jones » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:43 pm

There are two Call With FaceTime actions in my LaunchBar index.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 5.40.05 AM.png

USARebel

Postby USARebel » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:59 am

Thanks - it helps to know where in the Index.

I found and disabled both FT items but indexing didn’t stop.
So I quit LB and reopened. Then it began indexing the Home folder again.
No telling how long that’ll take - I’ll keep an eye on it and see if it keeps indexing FT.

NOPE - it’s been 4 hours now and LB is still indexing that same file every 5 seconds.

Greg Jones
Rank 2
Rank 2

Postby Greg Jones » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:52 pm

Thanks - it helps to know where in the Index.

Well, I said to turn off the two actions! You can also always search the entire index at once by selecting all the categories in the index sidebar (CMD-A) and then use the search function in the toolbar.

In any event, what you are experiencing is not normal behavior and I suspect you have some conflict/corruption issue. At this point, if it were me I would do a complete deletion/reinstall of LaunchBar, and/or file a support request with the Objective Development folks. This forum is almost entirely user-to-user and I rarely see them respond to posts here anymore. Hope it gets corrected for you.

USARebel

Postby USARebel » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:16 pm

When you said look in the index, I just thought you meant the sidebar.
There’s more than 2 dozen items listed, and many I’ve never looked in.

And the manual is so complex it would take me a week to read and try to comprehend it all.

mot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby mot » Thu May 25, 2017 2:11 pm

USARebel wrote:And the manual is so complex it would take me a week to read and try to comprehend it all.

Have you tried Alfred? It’s sort of a “LaunchBar light” and it’s quite OK.

– Tom

USARebel

Postby USARebel » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:22 am

I've been testing Alfred, but he seems to have a learning disability. :(
Don't think I can hire him on full-time.

He (it) never grasps the fact that when I type TTP I want to open TechTool Pro.

Spotlight gets it, so WTF is Alfred's problem? :evil:

It took him a while to figure out that when I type DFX I want to open DefaultFolder X.
For a long time it just showed garbage like the ttp results.

mot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby mot » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:43 pm

USARebel wrote:I've been testing Alfred, but he seems to have a learning disability. :(
Don't think I can hire him on full-time.

LOL, have you tried to clear the little knowledge he has collected and start from blank?:

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 12.19.40-pty-fs8.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 12.19.40-pty-fs8.png (5.85 KiB) Viewed 862 times

USARebel wrote:Spotlight gets it, so WTF is Alfred's problem? :evil:

I just re-hired him for testing and on my system it flawlessly finds apps like "Applications/QuickTime Player.app", "Applications/The Archive Browser.app", "Applications/Utilities/Bluetooth File Exchange.app" which have similarly structured names like TTP (I don't have TTP installed). Interestingly it does not find "Applications/Utilities/Digital Color Meter.app".

Just to be sure, you have set the matching to capital letters?:

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 12.17.48-pty-fs8.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 12.17.48-pty-fs8.png (8.74 KiB) Viewed 862 times

– Tom

mot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby mot » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:00 pm

PS:

USARebel wrote:And the manual is so complex it would take me a week to read and try to comprehend it all.

I don't think it is necessary to comprehend the entire manual in the first week (assuming with "manual" you mean the LB5 Help docs). I'm using LB for many years and still I'm discovering new things from time to time. For example only a couple of days ago I found out that with ⌘G I can send the path of the frontmost Finder window to LB if nothing is selected in the Finder. And I'm sure there are other things I'm not aware of…

It's great when an app still can offer something "new" even after years of usage :)

– Tom

Return to “LaunchBar General”