Having the choice of the look of the window.

General discussions about LaunchBar
Six

Having the choice of the look of the window.

Post by Six » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:52 pm

I was reading an article on TiBits Website, and they were talking about LaunchBar.
The screen posted to illustrate the article was :

As I haven't use LaunchBar since old version 3 and and I have buy it when 4.3.2 was released, I was wondering of one day we could have the choice of having that old fashionned windows, that IMHO, is nicer than the actuel one.

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:13 am

Hi Six!
Unfortunately I don't think that will happen :(

Objective Development tried to make the current design work for Leopard, just like that older design probably worked well in the then-current OS.

Even though it would be technically possible to integrate skinning, I'd guess (and hope) that it had very low priority.
IMHO LaunchBar needs to be improved in other aspects. (Like bugfixes, configuration layout and easy exchange of search templates 8) )

While I can't promise nor deny anything with certainty, I simply wouldn't count on that feature to make it.
I'm sorry if I disappointed you, :(
Ludwig

btw. just as a thought you could try to get an old version and play around with the .nib files to get the look you want.
Just ask, if you'd like further information. (Although I guess that 'hacking' LaunchBar like this wouldn't exactly be endorsed by Objective Development)

vanity

Post by vanity » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:53 am

I hate skinning and believe in good defaults. But imho the current interface is flawed: too small and not vertically centered.

What about people who can't type without looking? They have to hit the shortcut, search the screen wether it actually worked, then start typing.

LB is all about fast access. But the bigger icons and text are the faster we recognize them.

Dragging stuff into LB would certainly benefit from an equal distance to anywhere on the screen, ie dead center.

That's also the place I can flip my eyes to the quickest. With the menubar they sometimes overshoot ^^;

FredB
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FredB » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:17 pm

Although it will look a bit weird IMHO, you CAN put the bar in the center of the screen.

vanity

Post by vanity » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:34 pm

Seems I never hit the right place and dragged sth out instead of the bar around. Helps a little :)

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dennis » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:16 am

I used to have LB in the center of my display (it's especially nice on a very large screen). But I eventually moved it back to the default location at the top by the menu bar.

I did this mainly because I often need to view other windows while working with LB. Having LB in the center too often blocked my view of those windows. With LB at the top, it's still easy to see but nicely tucked out of the way.

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:37 am

vanity wrote:
What about people who can't type without looking?

I think they tend to be users of the Dock instead. 8)

paulw

Post by paulw » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:51 am

From the looks of it on this forum, and from how old this thread is, there aren't that many people that would like to see a customizable interface for LaunchBar. But I would, very much--- especially the ability to change interface and text size.

Anyone agree? Anyone know of any plans for such a function?